As the end of summer approaches I am realizing the abuse I have put my hair through. SO much sun and lots of days jumping in the ocean. Which I love! But if you are like me and have dry hair, its not the best.
Lately my curly hair has been looking a bit like straw and I have found the perfect hair repair solution-A hair mask. I usually don’t make time to even mask my face but this is one step that makes a huge difference! I can certainly tell if I haven’t been consistent with it.
My absolute favorite mask is from the DevaCurl line called Melt into Moisture . I literally stop people in the streets and go on and on about DevaCurl. It is the only product line I use and it is so large you can still switch it up within the line. I love that they do not use any harsh chemicals of any kind and the price point is excellent. You can (and should!) use this line if you have wavy all the way to super curly hair. It has changed my hair for the better and I am a fan for life. I will link to the other post I wrote about my curly hair routine below but let me know if you have any questions in the comments below. I could talk about this line all day long! ♥
Bringing Curly Back!
Ask any person with curly hair and they will have stories for you. A bad haircut, trying to straighten it and hair being difficult to deal with. I have fought my curly hair and longed to be a straight-haired girl all my life. This year I decided I would learn how to do my hair, and try to achieve the curls I always wish I could have. I have not straightened my hair since April and I finally feel like I am getting the hang of styling it.
So if you are a curly girl too and haven’t found your groove yet, this is for you. If you have ever said ‘yea, I have curly hair but not the good curls’, listen up! I used to say that too. Here are the FOUR most important lessons that have helped me the most:
- Deva Curl products- My hair was transformed when I found the DevaCurl Products. Not only did I fall in love with the products, I was able to learn new techniques I was unaware of. I went to the DevaCurl website and chatted with a representative until we picked the products right for my hair type. They also have “how to” videos that are super helpful.
- Application- Put product on soaking wet hair. One of the biggest mistakes I was making was drying my hair and then putting the product in. Classic formula for frizz! I also detangle in the shower with my fingers and never brush my hair after that.
- Amount of Product- Wow, was I being cheap with product! I needed so much more product to actually ensure my hair was getting an even application of product. Even though I am using so much more product after each washing, the times I actually need to shampoo my hair has gone way down. Which leads me to the next point!
- Over Washing– I was washing my hair almost every day. Curly hair is already dry by default and over washing can make it even more dry. It is just not necessary. I can refresh my hair and go longer in between wash times to keep it healthier.
- Deep Conditioning- I NEVER did this step! This has helped my hair become softer in a major way. I am obsessed with Melt into Moisturize, by Deva Curl. This step is really important for curly girls who have over used heat, or have chemically processed hair.
- Putting hair up/Sleeping- I was really doing this part wrong. I would wash my hair and then put my hair in a bun. The next day it was a wreck and any curls I had lost the shape and was frizzy. At night I now put my hair in what is called a pineapple. It sits on top of my head and the next day I can take it down and the curls are in good shape.
These four steps have totally changed my curls. I also watched you tube videos to get more tips for the soft bouncy curls I wanted. I love Hi F3licia YouTube videos for how much you can change your hair even if you think you are past the point of no return, I have learned a lot from her! Click here to check out the videos and her hair transformation.
If you are a curly girl like me and are new to this, reach out if you have questions. There is a bunch of ways to help achieve those soft bouncy curls we all wish we had!
Well it had to happen, my son has my hair. Thankfully although extremely curly it is also super adorable (I wish I could say the same about my curls). Now that we keep his hair a little shorter than we used to he gets a few crazy pieces that stick up and slicking it back with water like I usually do doesn’t always work anymore.
I had heard about Original Sprout brand and this was my excuse to finally try it out. The founder of this hair and skin care line decided to create a product with pure and safe ingredients after the birth of her daughter. Because this line is natural and organic and made especially for babies and up, I felt good about using it on my little guy. Original Sprout also has quite the celebrity following!
I bought the Natural Hair Gel and I love it. It is gentle, smells great and rinses out really well. I will be trying more from this line soon, I have the sun protection on my wish list. Will report back on what I try! For now here is a picture of my little guy!
Read more about Original Sprout here and let me know if you have any feedback on these great products!
I began searching for some quick ways to make myself more presentable a couple weeks ago since my time to get ready is quite limited in the mornings. Putting make-up on and fixing my hair in the bathroom together with my toddler is special. My goal is to be done before he has taken everything in the bathroom and placed it into the toilet. This gives me about five minutes. Understandably the hair department has suffered, wearing my hair up is a must and you most likely will see me with a hat on.
Until recently when I heard of the Bun maker. I love it and how it helps me look like I actually did something cute with my hair. There are two types that I like and both work nicely. The Conair bun maker and a long black clip type:
You can buy the Conair Bun Maker at Ulta Stores and the other one on Amazon, just search in Google. I checked out some of the how-to-videos on You tube for instructions that were really helpful. You can even find videos on how to create great buns without buying anything. These two items are really affordable, starting at a buck and going up to 5 dollars.
Have fun making your cute buns!
Skin is not the only thing that we need to protect as we frolic in the ocean and pool during these hot months ahead. Our hair takes a beating in the summer with the salt, sun and pool water, which is why I love the Sun Essential Oil by Barex. Not only does it help repair sun damaged hair with vitamin E and Rice oils, it also helps protect it from all of the elements.
Multi-vitamins and UV filters help keep hair soft and shiny so you can avoid the dull and dry looking “summer hair” I personally can do without this season! I just spritz on my hair and I am ready to go. You can’t resist the smell, I like to pretend I am on holiday in Tahiti. Where will you be going?