Ask any person with curly hair and they will have stories for you. A bad haircut, trying to straighten it and hair being difficult to deal with. I have fought my curly hair and longed to be a straight-haired girl all my life. This year I decided I would learn how to do my hair, and try to achieve the curls I always wish I could have. I have not straightened my hair since April and I finally feel like I am getting the hang of styling it.
So if you are a curly girl too and haven’t found your groove yet, this is for you. If you have ever said ‘yea, I have curly hair but not the good curls’, listen up! I used to say that too. Here are the FOUR most important lessons that have helped me the most:
- Deva Curl products- My hair was transformed when I found the DevaCurl Products. Not only did I fall in love with the products, I was able to learn new techniques I was unaware of. I went to the DevaCurl website and chatted with a representative until we picked the products right for my hair type. They also have “how to” videos that are super helpful.
- Application- Put product on soaking wet hair. One of the biggest mistakes I was making was drying my hair and then putting the product in. Classic formula for frizz! I also detangle in the shower with my fingers and never brush my hair after that.
- Amount of Product- Wow, was I being cheap with product! I needed so much more product to actually ensure my hair was getting an even application of product. Even though I am using so much more product after each washing, the times I actually need to shampoo my hair has gone way down. Which leads me to the next point!
- Over Washing– I was washing my hair almost every day. Curly hair is already dry by default and over washing can make it even more dry. It is just not necessary. I can refresh my hair and go longer in between wash times to keep it healthier.
- Deep Conditioning- I NEVER did this step! This has helped my hair become softer in a major way. I am obsessed with Melt into Moisturize, by Deva Curl. This step is really important for curly girls who have over used heat, or have chemically processed hair.
- Putting hair up/Sleeping- I was really doing this part wrong. I would wash my hair and then put my hair in a bun. The next day it was a wreck and any curls I had lost the shape and was frizzy. At night I now put my hair in what is called a pineapple. It sits on top of my head and the next day I can take it down and the curls are in good shape.
These four steps have totally changed my curls. I also watched you tube videos to get more tips for the soft bouncy curls I wanted. I love Hi F3licia YouTube videos for how much you can change your hair even if you think you are past the point of no return, I have learned a lot from her! Click here to check out the videos and her hair transformation.
If you are a curly girl like me and are new to this, reach out if you have questions. There is a bunch of ways to help achieve those soft bouncy curls we all wish we had!