This post is for all my OC peeps! One of the questions I am asked the most is, where should I go for a facial treatment? I currently do not perform facials for the public but I have a wonderful esthetician to share with you.
Kellie with Skin Care on the Lake by Kellie, is my go to esthetician that helps keep my skin looking healthy. I know of her talent because she was the esthetician that helped train me back in 2003! She has 30 years experience in this industry and facials are her specialty. She believes that beautiful skin starts with healthy skin. Kellie teaches people to care for their skin on a daily basis and treats them regularly to achieve the best results. She also believes this is an important step before getting medical/clinical treatments for optimal results.
Kellie has three key products and steps for keeping skin healthy and youthful and steps she herself takes everyday. I won’t disclose her age but you would not believe it if you saw her, her skin is flawless.
1. Skinceuticals PHLORETIN CF®
This is a day time serum and a powerful antioxidant. An amazing serum for sun damage, a collagen builder and environmental protector.
2. RETINOL 1.0 Retinol cream
Retinol is used to promote cell renewal and improve signs of aging skin. This is a night treatment and helps smooth the skin while you sleep.
3. Sun Protection
Lastly after caring for your skin with highly potent serums it is important to protect the skin from free radical damage and the sun. Kellie uses a daily sun protection on her skin as well as when you leave her treatment room.
Kellie uses Skinceuticals and Dermalogica in her treatment room and in her retail. She does a 60 minute facial or 90 (but always goes longer!) and customizes each treatment especially for your skin. You can find Kellie at the links below on her Instagram or Facebook.
*She currently has a promotion going on, buy Pholretin CF and receive a Physical Matte UV Defense sunscreen for FREE! Check Kellie out, she is a talented esthetician and wonderful person!
My top three tips for healthier looking skin are pretty much the same for any skin type. If you have been neglecting your skin and it shows, try these simple steps and see if it helps!
1. Exfoliate– So are you exfoliating at home on a regular basis? I think this is an important step so many clients I talk to are missing! Whether your concern is dehydrated/ dull skin or congestion and oiliness, exfoliating will help. Getting rid of the top layer of skin will help bring healthy cells to the skins surface. Don’t get crazy and over exfoliate to make up for lost time, that will do more damage than good. Click here to see a few of my favorites if you need to purchase one (hint one of my favorites is from Dermalogica): Exfoliate
2. Hydrate- A few days of not drinking enough water, having too much caffeine or alcohol or not using hydrating skin care can show up instantly in the skin. When the skin is dehydrated every fine line is amplified and looks more aged. That is why people with oilier skin types tend to have less fine lines than us ‘dry as the desert’ skin types. Along with internal hydration I love using a topical serum to help hydrate and plump up the skin, makes a beautiful difference under make-up too.
3. Sleep- Sleep is crucial for absolutely everything, it is when we recharge our brains, when human growth hormone is released and when are cells are regenerating. I cringe as I type this one, it has not been a good year of sleep for me. I am more clumsy, I am constantly dropping things and my memory has not been good. It totally shows in my skin as well, you can tell I just look tired. A good nights sleep makes a world of difference in our skin and the way we feel so if you can, get more sleep. I know it is hard, trust me, but it helps tremendously.
If you are feeling like your skin needs a boost, try these three tips and then let me know if you see any results! What are your go to skin remedies? Share in the comments below!
As a mom who is always on the go, I appreciate multifunctional items, especially when I am getting ready in the morning. I usually have about three minutes until my toddler starts breaking my make-up (true story).
I just started using the skinperfect primer spf30 by Dermalogica after not using a primer in while. I love the way this product makes my skin look underneath my make-up and even better, I can wear it alone. This product is a three in one; as it is a primer, contains SPF and addresses anti-aging concerns. After I put this on my skin, I feel my face looks smoother, brighter and more even. If I am just running around I usually do not use a foundation and I feel the coverage, although light, is enough for me. When I do apply my foundation on top, it lasts longer and helps minimize the way my lines appear.
The skinperfect primer is filled with powerful ingredients such as peptides, white tea and SPF to help ensure it not only protects the skin but also repairs the skin from further damage. Because of the consistency of the primer this would be an excellent choice for a more oily skin type, especially with anti-aging concerns.
Do you wear a primer under your make-up? Let me know which one YOU like!
Nothing says relaxation to me like taking a hot bath. To make this experience even better I love to add a few special touches while I sit and relax in the tub. For one, I always like to add something to the water (bath salts, oils etc) and I love a good mask for my face. I know not a lot of people take the time for the so-called extras like facial masks but they can really make a difference in improving the skins appearance.
I recently used the Multivitamin Recovery Masque by Dermalogica which is one of my all time favorites. The MV Recovery Masque is filled with vitamins, antioxidants and rich algae to name a few, that instantly repair and replenish the skin. It is ideal for people with aging concerns (hellooooo!) and stressed skin. This would be the perfect mask after getting over a flu or a cold (Read here for more on skin and sickness), after getting too much sun, or when you just have that “dull” look going on. This mask is also my go to when I have an event or a hot date night and want my skin to glow. It has an instant hydrating effect!
You can check out some of the other masks by Dermalogica sorted by different skin types and which concern you want to target. Add a mask to your weekly regimen and you will see a difference, enjoy!
Related posts below:
Benefits of bath
It’s bloody hot. I’ll admit I am a total sissy when it comes to the heat. My strategy is to lock myself in the house and become a shut in (thank you AC). For those of you crazy people who actually want to get out and do stuff here are some helpful skin care related tips and products I would use if I left my house.
The best way to protect yourself from the sun is to cover up of course! I always wear a hat at the pool or even going outside when the heat is up. And I don’t have to do my hair, win-win. I just bought a Roxy hat, check out there super cute selection: Roxy Hats
Wear a sun protection that has some color so you can forgo the foundation. Many people who are prone to breakouts have more problems in the heat when wearing a rich makeup base so keep it light. I like Dermalogica Ultra Sensitive Tint this has an SPF of 30 and no artificial fragrances or colors. Plus key antioxidants such as green tea and grape seed extracts help protect your skin against sun rays even further.
If you happen to get a sun burn its important to treat your skin often with something healing. I like using Aloe, you can buy a pure aloe at most drug stores. I like to keep it in the fridge to treat a burn (ahhhhhh). Or an even better idea is to buy an aloe plant and break open a leaf to extract the aloe. Apply directly to skin. These plants are so easy to grow and look pretty cool too.
Wow, I have got to thank my friends and fans of I ♥ Skin care for giving me such great topics to talk to you all about! I was asked another terrific question about serums and moisturizers for the skin. Do you need both? Is one better than the other? Do I need a super expensive product? How to use? I explain below:
- Let’s start with the differences between the two. Serums are designed to target specific concerns (dryness, pigmentation etc) and penetrate into the skin. Moisturizers are designed to stay on top of the skin and to protect the barrier. They add moisturize and also lock it in. Some oily skin types may want to use a serum that helps to keep the skin looking matte and may not need a moisturizer but if it is in the daytime an SPF is needed.
- If you are 18, have no skin care concerns and perfectly normal skin I would say you probably do not have to use both. However, most of us over the age of 30 are going to want to use both products because they work differently and lets face it we have concerns.
- As far as which serum or brand of moisturizer to purchase there all several factors to consider. Of course you can get a facial and have the skin care therapist suggest products for you. I always like to recommend going to a skin care center and getting a skin consultation if a facial is not an option. A trained skin care therapist can analyze your skin under a magnified light, look and feel what is going on with your skin. This is typically a free service and a great help when you are looking for the right product to use. Dermalogica has a great system with their partner skin care centers where they map the skin and help target the right products for the skin concern. Find a center where you feel comfortable with the price range so you don’t leave with sticker shock as well. Many of the best and most effective products do not cost a small fortune and work well.
- Ask for samples. Especially if you are a more sensitive skin type it always helps to get a facial with the products you are thinking about purchasing or trying a sample to see if there will be a reaction. Just keep in mind most companies do not sample every product and mostly do not sample the serums.
- As I mentioned above, Serums MOSTLY are applied first and then the moisturizer. Make sure and follow the directions but that is a general rule of thumb. Also these products absorb best when applied on moist skin so if your skin is totally dry before you get to your application, spray a misting toner first and then continue. (I have many suggestions for spray toners I love under the section toner.)
Hope that helps and happy moisturizing!
Thank you for creating the Age Smart Multivitamin Thermafoliant. After one application and two quick minutes, my skin looked and felt amazing. Perfectly soft yet not stripped of hydration. This combination therapy of physical and chemical exfoliation is the perfect blend to achieve that glow I was desperately in need of. Especially with the stress of the holidays. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Sincerely (or should I say Love?),
I heart skin care
P.S. Just found out my husband has been using my MT…better stock up before its all gone!
I had a special request to share my personal skin care and make-up routine. This is what I am currently doing but I have different routines based on new products I am testing and also what condition my skin is in at the time. This post will focus on my morning skin care regimen and the next will entail my cosmetic routine, enjoy!
Step 1. Cleanse-Gentle cleanser by SkinCeuticals. This is gentle enough to use for most any skin type, hydrating but does not leave skin feeling oily. I like to cleanse in the shower with my Clarisonic Brush (of course!).
Step 2. Tone-Molecular Mist by Sircuit. Click on the link to learn why I love this product. After getting out of the shower I will mist with this toner before I layer my products.
Step 3. Treat-Red Wine Resveratrol Antioxidant Serum by 100% Pure. I use a rich serum during the day because my moisturizer is light weight. This serum is also great at night because it is so rich.Step 4. Moisturizer/SPF –Multi-Vitamin Day Crème SPF 30 by Kerstin Florian International. I usually am rushing in the morning so having a combo moisturizer and SPF saves me time. I love how this nicely this blends into the skin.
Step 5. Eye Care-Total Eye Care SPF 15 by Dermalogica. Extra SPF around the eye area and helping to conceal my dark circles? No brainer! I like to give my eye area extra love in the day time and I apply my cream very gently.
Summer is almost over, but the heat? Not so much. I just purchased one of my favorite SPF’s ultra sensitive faceblock spf25 by Dermalogica and I have fallen in love all over again. This oldie but goodie was a product I used to recommend to my clients all of the time and I love it for my skin as well. It is great for sensitivity but anyone can use it. I like to use it as my “foundation” sometimes because it’s tinted and has a beautiful shade (and that is one less step for me on a busy morning!).
Click on the link and check out the full ingredient listing and all the buzz about ultra sensitive faceblock spf25!
It may be surprising to some how common adult acne is. And if you have ever had problems with breaking out (even if it is just one pimple), you know how it can be completely stressful and upsetting. This is the first of more posts to come where I will be focusing on bringing product solutions and tips on how to handle the acne beast.
My first begins with a terrific cleanser, since that is usually where we start with any skin care regimen, the Clearing Skin Wash by Dermalogica.
* Key Ingredients listed from Dermalogica.Com:
* A synergistic anti-acne combination of Licorice, Milk Thistle, Lemon, Arnica, and Bergamont botanicals helps soothe while preventing future breakouts.
* Salicylic Acid stimulates natural exfoliation, helping to clear impacted follicles and minimize acne formation.
* Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Golden Seal and Matricaria help eliminate acne-causing bacteria.
This cleanser can be used sparingly as needed or more often depending on what your level of breakout is. Check out other mediBac Clearing Products as well for acne treatments that actually work.