What a difference your eyebrows make! As my brows started to thin, filling them in became essential. I prefer a powder to a pencil for a more natural look and have found my favorite-the Anastasia Brow Powder. I use a stiff angled brush and blend the powder throughout the brow filling in the gaps.
A great tutorial for the perfect brow is on You tube from Sephora. Click to see video. If you have never used a powder on your brows before ask for help picking your shade and applying. The Anastasia powder goes on very smoothly, is long lasting and they have every shade you can think of.
If you need additional help shaping your brows you can pick up a stencil kit as a guide. You can find this all at Sephora.
I started having neck and back pain when I was working full time as a skin care therapist. I realized how working on my clients was causing me pain and decided to visit a chiropractor. What a difference it has made. Chiropractic therapy has been known to help issues such as back and joint pain to headaches and allergies. Seeing my chiropractor has especially helped my back pain due to picking up my son and everything else that comes with having a busy toddler!
If you are in Orange County I highly recommend Dr. Mike Tarjoman. He is the best Chiropractor I have seen, taking time for each patient to work out every issue. I leave with new advice on how to save my back not to mention live more pain free. There is also massage therapy and skin care treatments available, check out the website for first time patient specials!
23412 Moulton Pkwy. Suite #130
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
Phone: (949) 829-8871
Not sleeping takes a toll on everyone, it’s no secret. I haven’t been getting tons of rest lately and quite frankly it shows. Underneath my eyes I see an increased amount of puffiness and also dark circles that all of the iced cucumber in the world couldn’t fix. I decided I needed to step it up a notch in the under eye concealer department.
I have been using Neutrogena Skin Brightening Eye Protector but felt like I wanted more coverage. I called my friend Courtney to ask what her favorite product is and she told me about Touche Éclat from Yves Saint Laurent. I ran over to Nordstroms STAT to try it out.
To use this product you apply as your last step, it is used to highlight. To achieve a heavier coverage you can layer, just apply, wait for it to dry and re-apply. You can even throw it in your purse and apply thorough out the day. I love the creamy texture and the wand can be directly applied to the eye area without sticking your finger in a pot.
Thanks for the great tip Court!
The next food I am highlighting in my Super Skin Food series is Bok Choy. Every other week I get a box of fruit and vegetables from a local farm and Bok Choy was included in almost every delivery. At first I wasn’t too excited about it because it’s something I don’t normally cook with but after playing around with it in the kitchen it became one of my new favorites. There are great skin benefits as well!
Bok Choy is good for your skin: Vitamin rich-Loaded with A, C and D making it a super skin food. This combination of vitamins help with collagen production, help fight against sun damage and help cellular turnover. It is loaded with calcium and potassium. And for my pregnant friends, it also is a terrific source of folate so eat up!
Classically, Bok Choy is used in many Asian dishes, especially stir fry. It’s delicious that way (google stir fry and Bok Choy and a bunch of great recipes come up). I also love to saute in a pan with some oil and sea salt and serve with almost any main dish for dinner. I also eat it raw in salads. Enjoy!
Shea butter has been used for centuries in the world of skin care. It has healing benefits for the skin and is deeply hydrating. I tried the Everyday Shea Body Lotion in Vanilla for the first time and I loved it. The Shea butter used in this product is unrefined Shea butter derived from Africa which is known to be more nutritious for the skin.
I love the 32 ounce size and for only $13.99 it is a great value! I sit this bottle with the big pump on my night stand so I can moisturize away. I chose one of my favorite scents, Vanilla, it also comes unscented and Lavender. Check out the company website to learn more about the products and the empowerment programs they support for the people of Africa.
In honor of St. Patrick’s Day I am talking about three of my favorite green products and I mean literally green!
If you have hyperpigmentation I highly recommend Phyto + by SkinCeuticals. This serum is applied underneath moisturizer daily. This blend of botanical and skin brightening ingredients also contains anti-inflammatory agents helping to calm irritated skin.
I recently bought the Bobbi Brown Sage Metallic Eye Shadow. I love to layer this shade on the very bottom of my eye lid and use it with the Caviar Eye Pencil also by BB. It is a subtle green, with hints of grey shimmer-love it!
I can’t mention “green” products without mentioning ExfoliKate! I have it blogged about it before but if you are new to I ♥ Skin Care, it is one of my go to products for exfoliating and has been for years. Read more about it here Favorite Exfoliators.
Happy St Patty’s and don’t forget to wear green!
It was interesting for me to learn that having poor circulation can effect the skin in a negative way. It can trigger puffiness and even acne to appear in the face and body. I used to have poor circulation and some of my side effects included leg cramping and low body temperatures. I am the person walking around the plane a bunch of times during a long flight. (Wish I knew about compression socks when I was flying for business!)
Below I will highlight a few helpful ways to reduce poor circulation so we can keep our skin looking its best.
Pretty obvious we need to keep the blood flowing and this is a great way to do it. Choose your favorite exercise or try something new to get you excited like taking a new class at the gym. I love to work out at home when I don’t have time to get to the gym or take a long walk- it’s all good.
2. Eat Some Garlic
Diet has been linked to circulation issues. Certain fruits and vegetables have been known to boost blood and improve circulation (like Garlic) while other processed foods have been known to thin the blood. Talk to your doc or see a nutritionist to learn more.
3. Go Natural
Alternative therapies are being utilized more and more to treat this problem. Treatments such as acupuncture, massage therapy and reflexology have been reported to help. I’m in!
So I guess eating healthy, exercising and receiving relaxing body therapies are helpful…hmmmm I am noticing a theme here.
A really important tip that many people are not aware of is when to moisturize your skin-face and body. As soon as you step out of the shower while your skin is still moist you should be applying your products. I do not dry completely off so there is a little water on my skin, then I apply my lotions/products on both my face and body.
The reason we do this is because the products we apply will be more readily absorbed into the skin and simply put, work more effectively.
If the skin does dry a bit you can spritz a spray toner of your choice and then apply the rest of your daily products. *check out my section dedicated to toners for ideas.* This is even more important in the winter months because all skin tends to be drier. A properly moisturized skin looks more beautiful, less fine lines are noticed and make-up is smoother. Now who doesn’t want that?
Oh Valentines day, how I love thee! If you need some last minute gift ideas for the special person in your life (or yourself) there are plenty of skin care related ideas. Who doesn’t love getting a massage or facial as a gift? It’s even more special if you share a spa day together. Check Groupon and other deal sites today, they are loaded with deals.
Also, check with your favorite skin care line they may have specials today such as free shipping or gift sets. Nothing says Happy Valentines Day like chocolate, try one of my favorite skin care exfoliators Mocha Loca by Sircuit Cosmeceuticals. Just try not to eat it, it smells THAT good!
Have fun, make dinner at home and enjoy yourself!
Wow, I have got to thank my friends and fans of I ♥ Skin care for giving me such great topics to talk to you all about! I was asked another terrific question about serums and moisturizers for the skin. Do you need both? Is one better than the other? Do I need a super expensive product? How to use? I explain below:
- Let’s start with the differences between the two. Serums are designed to target specific concerns (dryness, pigmentation etc) and penetrate into the skin. Moisturizers are designed to stay on top of the skin and to protect the barrier. They add moisturize and also lock it in. Some oily skin types may want to use a serum that helps to keep the skin looking matte and may not need a moisturizer but if it is in the daytime an SPF is needed.
- If you are 18, have no skin care concerns and perfectly normal skin I would say you probably do not have to use both. However, most of us over the age of 30 are going to want to use both products because they work differently and lets face it we have concerns.
- As far as which serum or brand of moisturizer to purchase there all several factors to consider. Of course you can get a facial and have the skin care therapist suggest products for you. I always like to recommend going to a skin care center and getting a skin consultation if a facial is not an option. A trained skin care therapist can analyze your skin under a magnified light, look and feel what is going on with your skin. This is typically a free service and a great help when you are looking for the right product to use. Dermalogica has a great system with their partner skin care centers where they map the skin and help target the right products for the skin concern. Find a center where you feel comfortable with the price range so you don’t leave with sticker shock as well. Many of the best and most effective products do not cost a small fortune and work well.
- Ask for samples. Especially if you are a more sensitive skin type it always helps to get a facial with the products you are thinking about purchasing or trying a sample to see if there will be a reaction. Just keep in mind most companies do not sample every product and mostly do not sample the serums.
- As I mentioned above, Serums MOSTLY are applied first and then the moisturizer. Make sure and follow the directions but that is a general rule of thumb. Also these products absorb best when applied on moist skin so if your skin is totally dry before you get to your application, spray a misting toner first and then continue. (I have many suggestions for spray toners I love under the section toner.)
Hope that helps and happy moisturizing!