When looking for an eye crème/gel ask yourself what is your main concern around the eye area? Are you dehydrated and suffering from puffiness or do you have fine lines? Make sure you ask what the benefits are; many eye crèmes have multiple functions so you do not have to buy multiple eye crèmes. Texture is also important; do you prefer a thicker crème or a lightweight gel? There is an eye crème for every budget, find what works for you.
Now that you have your eye product I have listed simple tips to guide you through how you should use it!
- Use a pea sized amount of product for both eyes-This is an instance where more is not better. This area is prone to clogging so you want to apply the recommended amount. The more you use the faster the results? Sorry, not quite! Whatever product is left you can apply to lip area where we also get fine lines.
- Apply product with your ring finger-Because the eye area is the most delicate area on the face being rough with application is not a good idea. We apply with our ring finger because it has a lighter touch and also use a patting motion to help penetrate the product-no rubbing please!
- Dot, dot, dot-When using your eye cream circle the entire ocular bone. Fine lines and dehydration happen all around the eye area, not just under the eye. Gently pat the eye area in a circle feeling the bone as your guide. The eye area will pull the product it needs with heat and leaves the rest so do not worry about getting too close. That can lead to clogging (see point #1) As a general rule of thumb do not apply to the eye lid.
- Put eye crème in the refrigerator-Just a fun tip. Cooling for hot summer days, and helps relive tired, puffy eyes. (Great for late nights out!)
I have recently been asked what my favorite exfoliating products are. These three products are all effective and fast acting. No matter what you use, make sure you choose a product designed for your skin type/condition and remember not to over do it (You know who you are!).
Let’s talk about why we exfoliate:
- Removes excess sebum (oil) on the skin.
- Helps impurities rise to the skins surface
- Sloughs off dead skin cells on top layer of skin
- Allows skin care products to penetrate
The three products I have chosen can all be used in three minutes and under, plus they deliver terrific results.
ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment-Kate Somerville
Amazing for acne, pigmentation, dehydration, combination/oily skin types (not for sensitive skin). You can really feel this product working. This fast acting exfoliation scrubs on a physical and chemical level. Expect to see redness and also feel a smoother complexion in no time at all. (Don’t forget to remove ExfoliKate while watching your favorite show on T.V.- the product continues to work until it is removed!)
Daily Microfoliant– Dermalogica
I love this product for my sensitive skin clients, it is so gentle. Great for people who like to abuse their skin with constant over exfoliation-you can go to town with this scrub and not do any damage. It brightens, helps with redness and achieves a beautiful glow.
At-Home Peel Pads– Kerstin Florian
Great for a dry or dehydrated skin type especially with aging concerns. This is based on a multi acid system that even contains added vitamins and peptides used to retexture dull skin. One time peel pad makes exfoliation simple and fun to use.
Let’s get back to skin care basics! I know that skin care treatments are the first luxury to go for many when on a tight budget. I have created a simple regimen for an at home spa experience…don’t forget the candles and spa music! Follow these simple steps for an at home facial:
1. Cleanse your skin. Most important step in the process! One thing most people do not realize is that they need to wash their skin for 30 seconds to one minute to really remove impurities. *Use your Clarisonic Brush if you have it.
2. Tone. Take your cotton pads soaked in toner and apply to skin (when I mention the skin I am referring to the face, neck and décolleté.) I love a toner that has a nice pump so you can mist your face as well as onto the cotton pads- very spa!
3. Exfoliate. Choose a product appropriate for your skin and use it as directed. This is great for removing dead skin and getting the glow back. After removing the product, try misting the toner again if it is a gentle and hydrating toner.
4. Mask. The product you choose for this step is truly based on what type of skin you have. A dry skin will apply a nourishing and hydrating mask while an oily skin will apply an oil absorbing and acne fighting product such as a clay based mask. This step usually takes between 10 and 15 minutes (a good time to ask a loved one for a foot massage!).
5. Finishing Products. When applying creams and serums a great rule of thumb is apply in order of lightest weight to heaviest. I would start with your lightweight serums and eye creams, to the moisturizer.
Enjoy taking the time to relax. You will be so happy you did and your skin will thank you!
We all know the benefits of massage are practically endless. One of the most important times to nurture yourself with the gift of massage is during pregnancy. I recently experienced a prenatal massage at Stressbusters Lifestyle Day Spa and was very impressed with the staff’s level of knowledge. 50% of the clientele are pregnant women and it is the only day spa Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach recommends for pregnancy massage. I felt very safe knowing that my massage therapist has advanced certifications and a ton of experience.
What I did not know was the benefit of massage after delivery and for the condition called Diastasis Recit (click on link to read further). What a great excuse to continue the pampering!
With all of the discomfort that can be associated with pregnancy, (back and leg cramps, swelling, sleepless nights), massage is a safe and effective method of alleviating some of those symptoms. I am already looking forward to my next visit.
When I am asked what is the one tool that can help any skin type improve, my answer is always the Clarisonic brush. This Sonic cleansing system is backed by studies that have proven it can remove six times more make-up and is also twice as effective as manual cleansing. The Clarisonic helps with congestion, dryness, oiliness, ingrown hairs and can even be used on the body.
This is what I love about the brush:
- It can be used on every skin type-even sensitive
- Waterproof-I keep mine in the shower so I do not forget to use it
- Long battery life-you can use it 30 times before it has to be charged
- The way my skin feels after I use it
- Only takes one minute
It is a bit of an investment at $195.00 but they have released a smaller brush called Mia that is less expensive. Clarisonic was created by the inventor of Sonic Care Toothbrush and is using the same technology. Just like the toothbrush, once you use it you wonder how you ever lived without~ http://www.clarisonic.com
During my latest trip to the big city I visited one of my favorite beauty apothecaries, Space NK-Soho location. I experienced the Elemental Facial (1 hour 15 minutes) using the Elemental Herbology product line which is exclusive to Space NK in the United States.
My skin felt amazing after the facial, deeply cleansed and hydrated. Leah my therapist, used steam with a gentle peel followed by extractions and my favorite part: an artful facial massage using ice cold stones. Pure bliss!
Leah recommended the Biodynamic Facial Soufflé for me, an intensely hydrating and repairing mask. It is based on naturally derived botanicals, free of fragrance and color and is paraben free. I applied it before my flight home to avoid dehydration (along with 6 water bottles on the flight!)
After my treatment we had dinner plans straight after and I was able to have make-up artist Merrell touch up my make-up (more to come on my favorite color products). I loved my experience, especially the skilled and friendly staff. Space NK has the hard to find skin care brands and even a section dedicated to more of a natural concept. I will definitely be back next time I visit.
Our skin is drastically affected by the conditions of the cabin air as we fly. The low humidity, recycled air and the stress of it all makes us look and feel less than magnificent. A few of the common complaints include itchy eyes, dry and flakey skin, and aggravated sinuses. I have listed a few simple steps to help you look as fresh after a flight as you did before you stepped on the plane:
1. Hydration, Hydration, Hydration!
It is super important to drink plenty of water. Because of the very nature of the plane cabin environment it is extremely dehydrating to the body and of course- the skin. Also, avoid any beverage that will add to dehydration (alcohol, soda).
2. Use sunscreen!
Sun protection is a must when flying; think about how much more vulnerable we are to UV damage at 35,000 feet! If you are sitting at the window seat, pull down the shade.
3. Apply a product with Hyaluronic Acid.
Hyaluronic Acid has the ability to bind moisture to the skin and help maintain the moisture level in the skin. It is a super hydrating ingredient with protective qualities. Try Hydrating B5 Gel by SkinCeuticals. It also contains B5 vitamin which helps with a smoother complexion. http://www.skinceuticals.com
We all should be exfoliating our skin, this helps with many skin conditions from dehydration to breakouts and everything in between. As we age our cells turnover at a slower rate and well, they need a little help (more on this later). As our cells build up on the skins surface products we use topically have a harder time penetrating and are not as effective as they should be. To help get your skin glowing again use an at-home exfoliant weekly at night and follow-up the next morning with a sunscreen.
I’m going to New York next week and my skin was looking pretty dull. I used the Mocha Loca 4% chocolate lactic acid peel and it was that quick fix my skin needed. This product has Lactic acid, Chocolate and Organic Coffee to slough off dead skin coupled with powerful antioxidants (Horse Chestnut, Green Tea and Grape Seed Extract). Mocha Loca smells just like chocolate-the only hard part is not eating it!
Summertime Skin Care
With summer right around the corner it is time to start thinking about Sunscreen. We all know the dangers of the suns ultraviolet rays even WITH applying sunscreen. Below are a couple helpful hints to make sure we stay safe and keep our skin looking beautiful in the hot summer months ahead!
1. Always wear sunscreen
Even if it is cloudy outside, put on your sunscreen. Many of my clients have told me they do not wear sunscreen because they are indoors all day but remember UV rays penetrate glass and you can be exposed simply by driving to work!
2. Use a skin care product that contains ANTIOXIDANTS.
And while you’re at it, take internal supplements that have antioxidants as well. Research has shown that antioxidants can help protect the skin from UV damage* and even help reverse the signs of aging that sun damage can cause. Wear your skin care products containing antioxidants in the A.M.
3. Apply sunscreen correctly!
According to the FDA, applying one ounce of Sunscreen is recommended to achieve the protection listed on the bottle. Increase the amount of sunscreen you are wearing and make sure you apply at least 30 minutes prior to going outside. Using make-up with a sun protection combined with a sunscreen is a great way to get extra protection. Make sure to apply sunscreen to your neck and hands (or any other exposed area) too!
A product that I like to use that is a moisturizer with SPF and contains antioxidants is Multi-Vitamin Day Crème SPF 30 from Kerstin Florian.
* p. 87 the Antioxidant Miracle Lester Packer PH.D