About 10 years ago everyone at my work was dieting with the lemonade diet and losing weight. I wanted to lose five pounds so I was in! By day two I was getting dizzy and my dogs food smelled really good. I decided to stop, gained the two pounds of water weight back plus more and permanently slowed my metabolism. What a win!
I recently was thinking of this story because it can be the same with our skin, we want the fast fix without first trying the basic things we should be doing. Instead of fasting with lemon salt water I should have started with a healthy diet and exercise. I have a lot of people asking me about expensive and sometimes invasive procedures to help their skins appearance. So today I am going back to the basics with three easy steps to get your skin game going strong. Even if you decide to go forward with more advanced procedures you will see even better results if you are doing these things first. Or you may find you see such an improvement you stick with these tips and save yourself some $$$ and recovery time!
This is the most effective way to help shed those dead skin cells sitting on the surface of the skin making it hard to get your products to penetrate in. Fine lines and wrinkles look more defined when you are not regularly exfoliating and skin has less of a glow. I say start here and be consistent! I keep one in the shower so I can remember to regularly exfoliate. I can see a difference when I do. And most products only take a few minutes so it won’t be a challenge to fit this step in.
Hydration in the skin is the best way to plump out fine lines and give your skin a beautiful glow. But many people I talk to are not using a serum or a hydrator under their moisturizer (or even using an effective moisturizer). After I use my Simply Jess toner I apply my serum and then my moisturizer. This helps to ensure I have the hydration I need. And of course hydrate internally not just topically. Drinking enough water makes a huge difference in the skin. Especially if you are consuming dehydrating drinks such as coffee or alcohol, (Me? Never!). Add something like lemon, electrolytes or fruit to jazz up your water so that it doesn’t feel so boring to drink.
I know how easy it is to dismiss this one. I can certainly tell a difference in my skin when I have actually had a good nights sleep. It seems like the norm to be sleep deprived and I have finally started to take this seriously. During the night our skin is rejuvenating (along with our brain and everything else in the body), so it is crucial to try to get some solid sleep. After my camping trip when I slept a good 30 minutes one night, my skin definitely was not looking its best. I know for the moms who are reading this it can seem difficult to get all the sleep we need but its so important to help us feel and look better. They don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing!
Are you exfoliating, hydrating and sleeping enough?
As the end of summer approaches I am realizing the abuse I have put my hair through. SO much sun and lots of days jumping in the ocean. Which I love! But if you are like me and have dry hair, its not the best.
Lately my curly hair has been looking a bit like straw and I have found the perfect hair repair solution-A hair mask. I usually don’t make time to even mask my face but this is one step that makes a huge difference! I can certainly tell if I haven’t been consistent with it.
My absolute favorite mask is from the DevaCurl line called Melt into Moisture . I literally stop people in the streets and go on and on about DevaCurl. It is the only product line I use and it is so large you can still switch it up within the line. I love that they do not use any harsh chemicals of any kind and the price point is excellent. You can (and should!) use this line if you have wavy all the way to super curly hair. It has changed my hair for the better and I am a fan for life. I will link to the other post I wrote about my curly hair routine below but let me know if you have any questions in the comments below. I could talk about this line all day long! ♥
Bringing Curly Back!
I have another make-up product I want to share that I am loving right now! Even though in the summer I do not wear a lot of make-up, I usually do not leave the house without my bronzer. I am loving Hoola bronzer by Benefit cosmetics. The color is beautiful and the mini brush that comes with it is awesome! I also like how compact it is and how nicely it fits in my gym or travel bag.
Again it is a must have for me, as I am a little ghostly without it and I love the sun kissed glow it provides. You can check it out at Nordstroms. Benefit is having a special gift with purchase if you spend $50.00, check it out here! HOOLA
Summer is here and I want to share some of my new favorite sun care items! During the summer months my boys and I are constantly in the sun at the beach, pool and lake and I need to keep my skin protected. I am loving the Badger line for them in case you are looking for a great natural line for kids. Below I am highlighting three SPF/sun care items that I am using on the regular over here in sunny Orange County.
Coola Sport SPF 50
I love wearing this SPF when I am going to be in the sun a long time. Especially when going into the water, I feel like I stay very protected. It is a great facial sun protection and lovely on the skin.
Supergoop! Sun-Defying Sunscreen Oil Broad Spectrum SPF 50
This is my new favorite find for the summer! It is a lightweight oil with an SPF of 50 and the best part for me is it is a spray pump. I keep this is my beach bag and reapply it on the go. It is super hydrating without feeling greasy and it leaves my skin glowing. It smells divine as well. I buy mine at Sephora.
Hydra-Repair Toner with Lavender
Lastly, my Hydra-Repair Toner is something I carry in my purse wherever I go! One of the best features of the toner is helping to stop the aging process due to sun and other oxidative stress along with being super hydrating and repairing. I spray this toner during times spent outdoors and also the minute I get out of the sun to calm and hydrate. I use this on my little ones as well. You can stick in the cooler to keep it cold and refreshing.
These products help me enjoy my summer without worrying too much about damage from the sun. Also, don’t forget the hat! ♥
After traveling and our first round of holiday celebrations, I have found my skin is in need of some purifying. I have been using a new cleanser and I am loving it. The brand is Molecuderm Skin Care and the product is M-Cleanse. I think this is such a great cleanser for all skin types, I use it once a day because I am dry but up that to twice a day when I am having any breakouts.
My favorite part of using this cleanser is how invigorating it feels without stripping my oils and making me feel dry. Peppermint and Eucalyptus oils help achieve a purifying effect without being overly harsh and really cleansing effectively-I love it!
You can learn more about the product line here , as well as receiving more skin tips.
Ask any person with curly hair and they will have stories for you. A bad haircut, trying to straighten it and hair being difficult to deal with. I have fought my curly hair and longed to be a straight-haired girl all my life. This year I decided I would learn how to do my hair, and try to achieve the curls I always wish I could have. I have not straightened my hair since April and I finally feel like I am getting the hang of styling it.
So if you are a curly girl too and haven’t found your groove yet, this is for you. If you have ever said ‘yea, I have curly hair but not the good curls’, listen up! I used to say that too. Here are the FOUR most important lessons that have helped me the most:
- Deva Curl products- My hair was transformed when I found the DevaCurl Products. Not only did I fall in love with the products, I was able to learn new techniques I was unaware of. I went to the DevaCurl website and chatted with a representative until we picked the products right for my hair type. They also have “how to” videos that are super helpful.
- Application- Put product on soaking wet hair. One of the biggest mistakes I was making was drying my hair and then putting the product in. Classic formula for frizz! I also detangle in the shower with my fingers and never brush my hair after that.
- Amount of Product- Wow, was I being cheap with product! I needed so much more product to actually ensure my hair was getting an even application of product. Even though I am using so much more product after each washing, the times I actually need to shampoo my hair has gone way down. Which leads me to the next point!
- Over Washing– I was washing my hair almost every day. Curly hair is already dry by default and over washing can make it even more dry. It is just not necessary. I can refresh my hair and go longer in between wash times to keep it healthier.
- Deep Conditioning- I NEVER did this step! This has helped my hair become softer in a major way. I am obsessed with Melt into Moisturize, by Deva Curl. This step is really important for curly girls who have over used heat, or have chemically processed hair.
- Putting hair up/Sleeping- I was really doing this part wrong. I would wash my hair and then put my hair in a bun. The next day it was a wreck and any curls I had lost the shape and was frizzy. At night I now put my hair in what is called a pineapple. It sits on top of my head and the next day I can take it down and the curls are in good shape.
These four steps have totally changed my curls. I also watched you tube videos to get more tips for the soft bouncy curls I wanted. I love Hi F3licia YouTube videos for how much you can change your hair even if you think you are past the point of no return, I have learned a lot from her! Click here to check out the videos and her hair transformation.
If you are a curly girl like me and are new to this, reach out if you have questions. There is a bunch of ways to help achieve those soft bouncy curls we all wish we had!
It has been a while since I have had the nice thick eyebrows I had as a teenager. I do not always have time for the daily task of filling them in with make-up and making them look decent but I crave that bold brow to frame my face. It makes such a huge difference!
Because my brows have become thin and I am not loving the shape of them, the minute I heard about micro feathering I was so excited! This is seriously the best thing I have done for myself in a long time. My brows always look great with zero effort. They look so natural too. The best part is how long they will last. After the first treatment you go back for a touch up and then you are set for 18 months. Boom!
I went to Angelina Mancinas for my brows (check out her website here), at Neihule Salon in downtown Los Angeles. She is truly amazing and if you are interested in doing this procedure I highly recommend going to see her. Follow her on instagram to see some of her before and afters and find the contact information to book below.
607 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90014 P (213) 623-4383
463 South Robertson Suite 3 Beverly Hills, CA 90211 P (213) 245–3415
My new Hydra-Repair Toner with Lavender is here and I am so excited to share it! I have created a product that will help protect and repair skin while keeping it super hydrated and balanced. Spray toner is something I use every single day and I wanted to create one of my own to add features that I have not seen on the market yet. And the best part is the ingredients are naturally derived botanicals of the highest quality.
Hydration-this toner is designed to hydrate the skin through the use of highly active and naturally derived super ingredients.
- Coconut water contains Cytokinin which helps regulate cellular health, keeping connective tissues in the face hydrated.
- Selaginella Lepidophylla Extract or Rose of Jericho, a botanical found in the desert of Mexico, provides intense moisturization and improved barrier function.
Protection from Cellular Damage- Hydra-Repair Toner has a unique feature, helping to stop the aging process due to sun and other oxidative stress.
- Camu-Camu Extract is a shrub that’s native to the Amazonian rainforest with 30 times more vitamin C than an orange, making it a potent antioxidant. It is used in skin care for wound healing, cellular repair and for enhanced collagen production. When we spend time in the sun the damage to the cells continue even after we go indoors. The ingredient helps to stop that process and protect our skin from further damage. Amazing!
- Arnica Montana Extract is a native plant on the European continent and in Siberia and has been used extensively in European folk medicine since the 1500’s. It is used in skin care to help calm redness and irritation in the skin and is amazing post-sun. Another reason to put this toner in your beach bag!
- Lavender Water is the base of this toner, and this ingredient alone would make an amazing spray for the skin. Lavender has too many benefits for me to even mention but the reasons I choose it is for the soothing, healing and uplifting aromatherapy benefits. I like to spritz before bed because of the calming effect.
You can use the toner on cleansed skin before your moisturizer, it will help your treatment products and moisturizer penetrate better.
Spray the toner to set your make-up.
Always after sun exposure and even during.
At night for the calming effect.
Keep it at your desk and spray to refresh throughout the day or when you get irritated at your co-worker.
Keep in your gym bag.
Chill in your fridge in the hot summer months and then take to the pool.
Spray your dog when he won’t stop barking at the UPS truck.
There are endless options for how to use this toner and the good news is you can not over do it. It is natural, light weight and loaded with amazing ingredients to help you looking fresh and glowing.
Find the toner here! Hydra-Repair Toner
If you have questions about the Hydra-Repair Toner please comment below!
My top three tips for healthier looking skin are pretty much the same for any skin type. If you have been neglecting your skin and it shows, try these simple steps and see if it helps!
1. Exfoliate– So are you exfoliating at home on a regular basis? I think this is an important step so many clients I talk to are missing! Whether your concern is dehydrated/ dull skin or congestion and oiliness, exfoliating will help. Getting rid of the top layer of skin will help bring healthy cells to the skins surface. Don’t get crazy and over exfoliate to make up for lost time, that will do more damage than good. Click here to see a few of my favorites if you need to purchase one (hint one of my favorites is from Dermalogica): Exfoliate
2. Hydrate- A few days of not drinking enough water, having too much caffeine or alcohol or not using hydrating skin care can show up instantly in the skin. When the skin is dehydrated every fine line is amplified and looks more aged. That is why people with oilier skin types tend to have less fine lines than us ‘dry as the desert’ skin types. Along with internal hydration I love using a topical serum to help hydrate and plump up the skin, makes a beautiful difference under make-up too.
3. Sleep- Sleep is crucial for absolutely everything, it is when we recharge our brains, when human growth hormone is released and when are cells are regenerating. I cringe as I type this one, it has not been a good year of sleep for me. I am more clumsy, I am constantly dropping things and my memory has not been good. It totally shows in my skin as well, you can tell I just look tired. A good nights sleep makes a world of difference in our skin and the way we feel so if you can, get more sleep. I know it is hard, trust me, but it helps tremendously.
If you are feeling like your skin needs a boost, try these three tips and then let me know if you see any results! What are your go to skin remedies? Share in the comments below!
Well this title sums up how I have been feeling lately, especially after just having a birthday. I decided I needed to update a few items in my cosmetics bag and get my glow back! Since my baby is still not sleeping through the night I am tired much of the time and it shows. I decided to treat myself and buy a few items that can help me fake looking rested a bit and give me a little boost. Even though on a daily basis I keep my routine very simple, I have been adding these three steps to help brighten my skin and face.
1. Concealer-As we age the fine lines around the eye area increase and if you are not sleeping, the dark circles get darker. Apply your favorite concealer to the under eye area and eye lids and blend in. This always needs to be a shade lighter than your skin color. You can add concealer to your lip area and blend in to help lipstick application look smoother too.
2. Highlighter– This makes a huge difference! It is a very subtle tool that brightens the whole face and just makes the skin look fresh. Hardly noticeable but it makes my skin look especially brighter if I am tired. Make a ‘C’ shape around your eyes, lightly down the nose and a touch above the lip. My new favorite addition to my routine.
3. A Great Foundation– I like my skin to look dewy and even, but then again who doesn’t? This step starts with a great moisturizer and serum, but more on that in another post. I bought a new Bobbi Brown make-up brush for applying my foundation and it works great. An investment but those brushes last forever if you take care of them.
That’s it! Just a few extra steps and I feel much better. What are your favorite tricks to look more awake? What about favorite highlighters or concealers?
Other related posts
5 Minute Make-up