Summer is here and I want to share some of my new favorite sun care items! During the summer months my boys and I are constantly in the sun at the beach, pool and lake and I need to keep my skin protected. I am loving the Badger line for them in case you are looking for a great natural line for kids. Below I am highlighting three SPF/sun care items that I am using on the regular over here in sunny Orange County.
Coola Sport SPF 50
I love wearing this SPF when I am going to be in the sun a long time. Especially when going into the water, I feel like I stay very protected. It is a great facial sun protection and lovely on the skin.
Supergoop! Sun-Defying Sunscreen Oil Broad Spectrum SPF 50
This is my new favorite find for the summer! It is a lightweight oil with an SPF of 50 and the best part for me is it is a spray pump. I keep this is my beach bag and reapply it on the go. It is super hydrating without feeling greasy and it leaves my skin glowing. It smells divine as well. I buy mine at Sephora.
Hydra-Repair Toner with Lavender
Lastly, my Hydra-Repair Toner is something I carry in my purse wherever I go! One of the best features of the toner is helping to stop the aging process due to sun and other oxidative stress along with being super hydrating and repairing. I spray this toner during times spent outdoors and also the minute I get out of the sun to calm and hydrate. I use this on my little ones as well. You can stick in the cooler to keep it cold and refreshing.
These products help me enjoy my summer without worrying too much about damage from the sun. Also, don’t forget the hat! ♥
After traveling and our first round of holiday celebrations, I have found my skin is in need of some purifying. I have been using a new cleanser and I am loving it. The brand is Molecuderm Skin Care and the product is M-Cleanse. I think this is such a great cleanser for all skin types, I use it once a day because I am dry but up that to twice a day when I am having any breakouts.
My favorite part of using this cleanser is how invigorating it feels without stripping my oils and making me feel dry. Peppermint and Eucalyptus oils help achieve a purifying effect without being overly harsh and really cleansing effectively-I love it!
You can learn more about the product line here , as well as receiving more skin tips.
Ask any person with curly hair and they will have stories for you. A bad haircut, trying to straighten it and hair being difficult to deal with. I have fought my curly hair and longed to be a straight-haired girl all my life. This year I decided I would learn how to do my hair, and try to achieve the curls I always wish I could have. I have not straightened my hair since April and I finally feel like I am getting the hang of styling it.
So if you are a curly girl too and haven’t found your groove yet, this is for you. If you have ever said ‘yea, I have curly hair but not the good curls’, listen up! I used to say that too. Here are the FOUR most important lessons that have helped me the most:
- Deva Curl products- My hair was transformed when I found the DevaCurl Products. Not only did I fall in love with the products, I was able to learn new techniques I was unaware of. I went to the DevaCurl website and chatted with a representative until we picked the products right for my hair type. They also have “how to” videos that are super helpful.
- Application- Put product on soaking wet hair. One of the biggest mistakes I was making was drying my hair and then putting the product in. Classic formula for frizz! I also detangle in the shower with my fingers and never brush my hair after that.
- Amount of Product- Wow, was I being cheap with product! I needed so much more product to actually ensure my hair was getting an even application of product. Even though I am using so much more product after each washing, the times I actually need to shampoo my hair has gone way down. Which leads me to the next point!
- Over Washing– I was washing my hair almost every day. Curly hair is already dry by default and over washing can make it even more dry. It is just not necessary. I can refresh my hair and go longer in between wash times to keep it healthier.
- Deep Conditioning- I NEVER did this step! This has helped my hair become softer in a major way. I am obsessed with Melt into Moisturize, by Deva Curl. This step is really important for curly girls who have over used heat, or have chemically processed hair.
- Putting hair up/Sleeping- I was really doing this part wrong. I would wash my hair and then put my hair in a bun. The next day it was a wreck and any curls I had lost the shape and was frizzy. At night I now put my hair in what is called a pineapple. It sits on top of my head and the next day I can take it down and the curls are in good shape.
These four steps have totally changed my curls. I also watched you tube videos to get more tips for the soft bouncy curls I wanted. I love Hi F3licia YouTube videos for how much you can change your hair even if you think you are past the point of no return, I have learned a lot from her! Click here to check out the videos and her hair transformation.
If you are a curly girl like me and are new to this, reach out if you have questions. There is a bunch of ways to help achieve those soft bouncy curls we all wish we had!
It has been a while since I have had the nice thick eyebrows I had as a teenager. I do not always have time for the daily task of filling them in with make-up and making them look decent but I crave that bold brow to frame my face. It makes such a huge difference!
Because my brows have become thin and I am not loving the shape of them, the minute I heard about micro feathering I was so excited! This is seriously the best thing I have done for myself in a long time. My brows always look great with zero effort. They look so natural too. The best part is how long they will last. After the first treatment you go back for a touch up and then you are set for 18 months. Boom!
I went to Angelina Mancinas for my brows (check out her website here), at Neihule Salon in downtown Los Angeles. She is truly amazing and if you are interested in doing this procedure I highly recommend going to see her. Follow her on instagram to see some of her before and afters and find the contact information to book below.
607 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90014 P (213) 623-4383
463 South Robertson Suite 3 Beverly Hills, CA 90211 P (213) 245–3415
My new Hydra-Repair Toner with Lavender is here and I am so excited to share it! I have created a product that will help protect and repair skin while keeping it super hydrated and balanced. Spray toner is something I use every single day and I wanted to create one of my own to add features that I have not seen on the market yet. And the best part is the ingredients are naturally derived botanicals of the highest quality.
Hydration-this toner is designed to hydrate the skin through the use of highly active and naturally derived super ingredients.
- Coconut water contains Cytokinin which helps regulate cellular health, keeping connective tissues in the face hydrated.
- Selaginella Lepidophylla Extract or Rose of Jericho, a botanical found in the desert of Mexico, provides intense moisturization and improved barrier function.
Protection from Cellular Damage- Hydra-Repair Toner has a unique feature, helping to stop the aging process due to sun and other oxidative stress.
- Camu-Camu Extract is a shrub that’s native to the Amazonian rainforest with 30 times more vitamin C than an orange, making it a potent antioxidant. It is used in skin care for wound healing, cellular repair and for enhanced collagen production. When we spend time in the sun the damage to the cells continue even after we go indoors. The ingredient helps to stop that process and protect our skin from further damage. Amazing!
- Arnica Montana Extract is a native plant on the European continent and in Siberia and has been used extensively in European folk medicine since the 1500’s. It is used in skin care to help calm redness and irritation in the skin and is amazing post-sun. Another reason to put this toner in your beach bag!
- Lavender Water is the base of this toner, and this ingredient alone would make an amazing spray for the skin. Lavender has too many benefits for me to even mention but the reasons I choose it is for the soothing, healing and uplifting aromatherapy benefits. I like to spritz before bed because of the calming effect.
You can use the toner on cleansed skin before your moisturizer, it will help your treatment products and moisturizer penetrate better.
Spray the toner to set your make-up.
Always after sun exposure and even during.
At night for the calming effect.
Keep it at your desk and spray to refresh throughout the day or when you get irritated at your co-worker.
Keep in your gym bag.
Chill in your fridge in the hot summer months and then take to the pool.
Spray your dog when he won’t stop barking at the UPS truck.
There are endless options for how to use this toner and the good news is you can not over do it. It is natural, light weight and loaded with amazing ingredients to help you looking fresh and glowing.
Find the toner here! Hydra-Repair Toner
If you have questions about the Hydra-Repair Toner please comment below!
My top three tips for healthier looking skin are pretty much the same for any skin type. If you have been neglecting your skin and it shows, try these simple steps and see if it helps!
1. Exfoliate– So are you exfoliating at home on a regular basis? I think this is an important step so many clients I talk to are missing! Whether your concern is dehydrated/ dull skin or congestion and oiliness, exfoliating will help. Getting rid of the top layer of skin will help bring healthy cells to the skins surface. Don’t get crazy and over exfoliate to make up for lost time, that will do more damage than good. Click here to see a few of my favorites if you need to purchase one (hint one of my favorites is from Dermalogica): Exfoliate
2. Hydrate- A few days of not drinking enough water, having too much caffeine or alcohol or not using hydrating skin care can show up instantly in the skin. When the skin is dehydrated every fine line is amplified and looks more aged. That is why people with oilier skin types tend to have less fine lines than us ‘dry as the desert’ skin types. Along with internal hydration I love using a topical serum to help hydrate and plump up the skin, makes a beautiful difference under make-up too.
3. Sleep- Sleep is crucial for absolutely everything, it is when we recharge our brains, when human growth hormone is released and when are cells are regenerating. I cringe as I type this one, it has not been a good year of sleep for me. I am more clumsy, I am constantly dropping things and my memory has not been good. It totally shows in my skin as well, you can tell I just look tired. A good nights sleep makes a world of difference in our skin and the way we feel so if you can, get more sleep. I know it is hard, trust me, but it helps tremendously.
If you are feeling like your skin needs a boost, try these three tips and then let me know if you see any results! What are your go to skin remedies? Share in the comments below!
Well this title sums up how I have been feeling lately, especially after just having a birthday. I decided I needed to update a few items in my cosmetics bag and get my glow back! Since my baby is still not sleeping through the night I am tired much of the time and it shows. I decided to treat myself and buy a few items that can help me fake looking rested a bit and give me a little boost. Even though on a daily basis I keep my routine very simple, I have been adding these three steps to help brighten my skin and face.
1. Concealer-As we age the fine lines around the eye area increase and if you are not sleeping, the dark circles get darker. Apply your favorite concealer to the under eye area and eye lids and blend in. This always needs to be a shade lighter than your skin color. You can add concealer to your lip area and blend in to help lipstick application look smoother too.
2. Highlighter– This makes a huge difference! It is a very subtle tool that brightens the whole face and just makes the skin look fresh. Hardly noticeable but it makes my skin look especially brighter if I am tired. Make a ‘C’ shape around your eyes, lightly down the nose and a touch above the lip. My new favorite addition to my routine.
3. A Great Foundation– I like my skin to look dewy and even, but then again who doesn’t? This step starts with a great moisturizer and serum, but more on that in another post. I bought a new Bobbi Brown make-up brush for applying my foundation and it works great. An investment but those brushes last forever if you take care of them.
That’s it! Just a few extra steps and I feel much better. What are your favorite tricks to look more awake? What about favorite highlighters or concealers?
Other related posts
5 Minute Make-up
I have been hearing all of the hype surrounding ‘floating’ in sensory deprivation tanks recently so I decided to see what it was all about for myself. Initially I became a little anxious about floating in a closed pod full of water and Epsom salts, so I did some research first. The health benefit claims were impressive; improvement in sleep quality, pain relief, decreased anxiety and more. I even read one hour in the tank can equal up to four hours of sleep, that was all I needed to hear after a year of poor sleep being a new mom.
My sister and I went to Float Therapy Spa in Huntington Beach a brand new facility offering state of the art float tanks. And here is a little about the process:
- Watch a brief video that gives you a great explanation about the experience.
- Take a shower and get ready to begin your float
- Float! We did a 60 minute float but they have longer sessions available as well.
- Take another shower to rinse off the salt
There are options, you don’t have to be in the dark with no sound and just sit there. I closed the pod door (but you don’t have to) and chose to keep the light on and listen to music. You can customize your experience so it is comfortable allowing for you relax and feel at peace.
It was such an interesting experience. At the end of my float I felt as though I had had a massage. I was extremely relaxed and felt less back pain than I had before. The benefits increase as you continue to float and people report increased creativity, focus and mind altering thoughts (along with many other benefits). While speaking to people who regualry float, one thing that is common is they do go regularly and each time improves what you get out of it. I will definitely go back.
- Float Therapy Spa-Huntington Beach
Lately I am getting a ton of questions regarding the tween age child and breakouts. I am going to outline three of my favorite products to help prevent and heal existing breakouts in a gentle and effective way. These Kerstin Florian products I recommend are my go-to because of the lightweight and therapeutic nature. Also safe and gentle for the littles!
1. Clarifying Moor Mud Masque-Sweating during play or sports, makeup for dance, not washing their hands and then touching the face are all culprits of spreading bacteria that can lead to congestion. I love this organic mud because it gently exfoliates and deep cleanses. And they will love to get permission to play with mud!
I suggest this product be used in the shower because it should remain moist. After only five minutes they can rinse if off and that’s it!
2.Rehydrating Neroli Water- One issue with breakouts I have seen time and time again is dehydration. The skin at this age may lack hydration (water not oil) and a simple way to help this is to use a floral water. This is a pure and natural product using the extract of the bitter orange blossom to hydrate and oxygenate the skin. The aroma is very uplifting and great for anxiety, perfect for the tween!
Neroli Water can be sprayed throughout the day, at night and whenever the skin needs to be freshened up. It is fun to put in the refrigerator and spray on a warm day, they will love it (and so will mom)!
3.Rehydrating Remineralizing Face Crème– I love this lightweight moisturizer for breakouts because of its protective and re-mineralizing properties. It is safe, recommended for sensitive skin and can be used at night if the tween is feeling a little oily during the day.
All of these products can be purchased on Kerstin Florain’s website, click here for link. Remember to keep it simple, at this age kids should not be focused on long regimens or worrying about their skin. Make it simple and fun and they will respond very positively! Please share this post with any mom you know who may be dealing with tween breakouts and let me know in the comments if there are any products you have used with great results!
So I may be the only mom who hasn’t seen the movie Frozen yet, I hear the song Let it Go is pretty popular. It’s also the theme for my house as I prep for baby #2. I can’t believe how attached to “stuff” I can get and how this “stuff” is totally dragging me down. I saved many items that my son grew out of because I knew we were having another child. And lucky me I am having another boy so many of those items will really come in handy! My two boys will be sharing a small room and this room was already full and overcrowded. I put off re-organizing and making room as long as I could until all of a sudden I realize I have less than a month until Baby Ezra is here!
What I noticed was the stress of the clutter, just looking at it, was making me stressed beyond belief. I have been sick a lot this pregnancy and I know being stressed out played a role in that. The funny thing is once I got in there and started letting go of what I thought was so important to keep, my mood improved and I felt like a huge weight was being lifted.
I have talked about stress and how it affects the skin in a negative way and also overall health. I am living proof of that. I know its easy to let the clutter and things pile up on me and how badly it makes me feel. Sometimes a good purge is just what the doctor ordered. If it was up to my husband my son would have one toy and everything else would be gone. I love that he is not attached to “things”, it seems so freeing. I am working on being more like that as well.
Update on the room: there is enough space, we have what we need and I think the boys will be very happy in there. That is all that really matters. Now just waiting on his arrival!
Other posts on this topic:
Oh I’m Stressed!
Dermalogica MV Power Recovery Masque