This post is for all my OC peeps! One of the questions I am asked the most is, where should I go for a facial treatment? I currently do not perform facials for the public but I have a wonderful esthetician to share with you.
Kellie with Skin Care on the Lake by Kellie, is my go to esthetician that helps keep my skin looking healthy. I know of her talent because she was the esthetician that helped train me back in 2003! She has 30 years experience in this industry and facials are her specialty. She believes that beautiful skin starts with healthy skin. Kellie teaches people to care for their skin on a daily basis and treats them regularly to achieve the best results. She also believes this is an important step before getting medical/clinical treatments for optimal results.
Kellie has three key products and steps for keeping skin healthy and youthful and steps she herself takes everyday. I won’t disclose her age but you would not believe it if you saw her, her skin is flawless.
1. Skinceuticals PHLORETIN CF®
This is a day time serum and a powerful antioxidant. An amazing serum for sun damage, a collagen builder and environmental protector.
2. RETINOL 1.0 Retinol cream
Retinol is used to promote cell renewal and improve signs of aging skin. This is a night treatment and helps smooth the skin while you sleep.
3. Sun Protection
Lastly after caring for your skin with highly potent serums it is important to protect the skin from free radical damage and the sun. Kellie uses a daily sun protection on her skin as well as when you leave her treatment room.
Kellie uses Skinceuticals and Dermalogica in her treatment room and in her retail. She does a 60 minute facial or 90 (but always goes longer!) and customizes each treatment especially for your skin. You can find Kellie at the links below on her Instagram or Facebook.
*She currently has a promotion going on, buy Pholretin CF and receive a Physical Matte UV Defense sunscreen for FREE! Check Kellie out, she is a talented esthetician and wonderful person!
My friend recently introduced me to FabFitFun and I am loving it! It is a subscription based box that includes full size beauty, wellness and fashion items that is sent four times a year with each season. I signed up as a member and my first box I received was the Winter box. Some of the highlights for me include the BB Dakota Poncho, 8 OTHER REASONS Nine Lives Choker and my adorable new mug that I use every day for tea.
The retail value of my first box is $388 and it cost me $49.95! I love the variety and quality of the goodies. Not to mention how much I look forward to receiving my box and unpacking it. I loved it so much I purchased the Editors box which I am loving as well.
If FabFitFun is something you are excited to try you can use the code WELCOME10 to get $10.00 off your first box. Click this link to receive your discount; WELCOME . It is just in time for the Spring Box which is coming soon! Let me know in the comments below if you have tried Fab fit fun and what your favorite items are!
After traveling and our first round of holiday celebrations, I have found my skin is in need of some purifying. I have been using a new cleanser and I am loving it. The brand is Molecuderm Skin Care and the product is M-Cleanse. I think this is such a great cleanser for all skin types, I use it once a day because I am dry but up that to twice a day when I am having any breakouts.
My favorite part of using this cleanser is how invigorating it feels without stripping my oils and making me feel dry. Peppermint and Eucalyptus oils help achieve a purifying effect without being overly harsh and really cleansing effectively-I love it!
You can learn more about the product line here , as well as receiving more skin tips.
Ask any person with curly hair and they will have stories for you. A bad haircut, trying to straighten it and hair being difficult to deal with. I have fought my curly hair and longed to be a straight-haired girl all my life. This year I decided I would learn how to do my hair, and try to achieve the curls I always wish I could have. I have not straightened my hair since April and I finally feel like I am getting the hang of styling it.
So if you are a curly girl too and haven’t found your groove yet, this is for you. If you have ever said ‘yea, I have curly hair but not the good curls’, listen up! I used to say that too. Here are the FOUR most important lessons that have helped me the most:
- Deva Curl products- My hair was transformed when I found the DevaCurl Products. Not only did I fall in love with the products, I was able to learn new techniques I was unaware of. I went to the DevaCurl website and chatted with a representative until we picked the products right for my hair type. They also have “how to” videos that are super helpful.
- Application- Put product on soaking wet hair. One of the biggest mistakes I was making was drying my hair and then putting the product in. Classic formula for frizz! I also detangle in the shower with my fingers and never brush my hair after that.
- Amount of Product- Wow, was I being cheap with product! I needed so much more product to actually ensure my hair was getting an even application of product. Even though I am using so much more product after each washing, the times I actually need to shampoo my hair has gone way down. Which leads me to the next point!
- Over Washing– I was washing my hair almost every day. Curly hair is already dry by default and over washing can make it even more dry. It is just not necessary. I can refresh my hair and go longer in between wash times to keep it healthier.
- Deep Conditioning- I NEVER did this step! This has helped my hair become softer in a major way. I am obsessed with Melt into Moisturize, by Deva Curl. This step is really important for curly girls who have over used heat, or have chemically processed hair.
- Putting hair up/Sleeping- I was really doing this part wrong. I would wash my hair and then put my hair in a bun. The next day it was a wreck and any curls I had lost the shape and was frizzy. At night I now put my hair in what is called a pineapple. It sits on top of my head and the next day I can take it down and the curls are in good shape.
These four steps have totally changed my curls. I also watched you tube videos to get more tips for the soft bouncy curls I wanted. I love Hi F3licia YouTube videos for how much you can change your hair even if you think you are past the point of no return, I have learned a lot from her! Click here to check out the videos and her hair transformation.
If you are a curly girl like me and are new to this, reach out if you have questions. There is a bunch of ways to help achieve those soft bouncy curls we all wish we had!
It has been a while since I have had the nice thick eyebrows I had as a teenager. I do not always have time for the daily task of filling them in with make-up and making them look decent but I crave that bold brow to frame my face. It makes such a huge difference!
Because my brows have become thin and I am not loving the shape of them, the minute I heard about micro feathering I was so excited! This is seriously the best thing I have done for myself in a long time. My brows always look great with zero effort. They look so natural too. The best part is how long they will last. After the first treatment you go back for a touch up and then you are set for 18 months. Boom!
I went to Angelina Mancinas for my brows (check out her website here), at Neihule Salon in downtown Los Angeles. She is truly amazing and if you are interested in doing this procedure I highly recommend going to see her. Follow her on instagram to see some of her before and afters and find the contact information to book below.
607 S Olive St, Los Angeles, CA 90014 P (213) 623-4383
463 South Robertson Suite 3 Beverly Hills, CA 90211 P (213) 245–3415
Simply Jess is participating in a trunk show at YogaWorks in Mission Viejo today through Monday February 15th. Come check us out! We have Hydra-Repair Toner, Coco-Mango Deodorant and Coco-Mint Lip Balm. They all make terrific Valentines Day gifts.
Don’t forget to check out the yoga apparel, I am in love with the yoga gear!
I have been a fan of Kerstin Florian products for many years and use them on a daily basis. When the latest product, Clarifying BerryPlus Repair Serum, was announced I could not wait to try it. I have been using this serum daily for a few weeks and I love the results.
With natural ingredients that are highly effective the skin feels hydrated, smooth and is protected. Camu Camu and goji berry extracts help protect skin from sun damage while Raspberry Leaf extract and Rose oil help hydrate and calm skin.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Super lightweight
- Deeply Hydrating
I love this product for men as well, it is great post-shave. To use this product, apply on cleansed skin underneath moisturizer. It is sure to be a huge hit with pretty much any skin type!
To read more about this product and other KF products click here to check out the website: Kerstin Florian
Finding a great place to get your brows done can be hard to find. I am so excited to share where to go for an amazing eyebrow design if you are in the L.A. area. Angelina Mancinas is a master eyebrow specialist and makeup artist that I highly recommend! She offers eye brow design and even a service called eye brow extensions. Follow her on Instagram to see some of the amazing before and after pictures.
With two locations, Neihule Salon downtown and Winxed in Beverly Hills you have options of where to book. I love the downtown location, the salon is beautiful! It is an amazing treat to find someone as talented and super sweet as Angelina. You can visit her beautiful website for more information on services and location information here.
Melasma is a skin condition I have been asked a lot about lately. Usually problematic in the face, melasma is an overproduction of pigment making the skin appear darker in certain areas. It is a skin condition that is typically related to hormones and can be worsened by sun light, skin inflammation/acne or certain types of medication.
Some of the women I talk to have seen an increase or experience melasma for the first time after having kids. One way to avoid it from getting worse is to avoid excessive sun exposure. I know personally after having kids I am in the sun much more than before. Between pool days, going to the park and other outside activities it is hard to avoid. Here are some helpful hints to help tackle melasma.
1. Limit Sun Exposure – If you have to be in the sun, make sure to cover your face. I try and wear a hat as much as possible when I am out with the kids. Even the best sun protection has its limitations so try and cover up. This is the first and most important tip because if you start to treat the skin without covering up it will not help and could even make it worse. I think getting out in the sun is healthy and Vitamin D is crucial for our health but at least limit your face if working on this problem.
2. Look at Medications- Some of the birth control out there among other prescription medication can lead to an increase in pigmentation, so ask your doctor.
3. Topical Treatment Options– I am not a fan of harsh lightening creams, partially because they are not exactly great for the skin but also because if you aggravate the cells in the skin responsible for melanin production while using those products, the problem will come back even worse.
Regular exfoliation and brightening/lightening serums do a great job of managing pigmentation in the skin. I love Brilliance from Sircuit Cosmecuticals for its brightening agents. They ship free over 50 dollars as well. If you want to add a Vitamin C/A regimen, check out Sircuits website, they have amazing products that target pigmentation and use high quality and effective ingredients. Read more here on these products: Repair Post ‘Summer Skin’
4. Laser – If skin care treatments are in your budget I would recommend going to a medical spa or dermatologists office for a consultation. Some of the lasers out there do wonders, make sure you are going to a reputable place where the technician is experienced. Remember to be vigilant about covering up during these treatments. The summer months are not ideal for these types of treatments, although in Southern California I think Summer is the only season we have left.
I hope this helps navigate how to best work on decreasing melasma and pigmentation while brightening your skin in a safe way. Please comment below if you have a product or treatment that has worked for you or if you have any questions!
I have been hearing all of the hype surrounding ‘floating’ in sensory deprivation tanks recently so I decided to see what it was all about for myself. Initially I became a little anxious about floating in a closed pod full of water and Epsom salts, so I did some research first. The health benefit claims were impressive; improvement in sleep quality, pain relief, decreased anxiety and more. I even read one hour in the tank can equal up to four hours of sleep, that was all I needed to hear after a year of poor sleep being a new mom.
My sister and I went to Float Therapy Spa in Huntington Beach a brand new facility offering state of the art float tanks. And here is a little about the process:
- Watch a brief video that gives you a great explanation about the experience.
- Take a shower and get ready to begin your float
- Float! We did a 60 minute float but they have longer sessions available as well.
- Take another shower to rinse off the salt
There are options, you don’t have to be in the dark with no sound and just sit there. I closed the pod door (but you don’t have to) and chose to keep the light on and listen to music. You can customize your experience so it is comfortable allowing for you relax and feel at peace.
It was such an interesting experience. At the end of my float I felt as though I had had a massage. I was extremely relaxed and felt less back pain than I had before. The benefits increase as you continue to float and people report increased creativity, focus and mind altering thoughts (along with many other benefits). While speaking to people who regualry float, one thing that is common is they do go regularly and each time improves what you get out of it. I will definitely go back.
- Float Therapy Spa-Huntington Beach