Benefits cream-gel eyebrow product is amazing! It comes with a built in brush and I love the packaging. It is waterproof and designed so you can have natural looking brows or more dramatic buildable brows. A little goes a long way so I like to tap off excess product after I dip the brush and before I apply.
This is definitely my new favorite product for my eye brows! You can find it on Benefit Cosmetics site or in Sephora stores.
After traveling and our first round of holiday celebrations, I have found my skin is in need of some purifying. I have been using a new cleanser and I am loving it. The brand is Molecuderm Skin Care and the product is M-Cleanse. I think this is such a great cleanser for all skin types, I use it once a day because I am dry but up that to twice a day when I am having any breakouts.
My favorite part of using this cleanser is how invigorating it feels without stripping my oils and making me feel dry. Peppermint and Eucalyptus oils help achieve a purifying effect without being overly harsh and really cleansing effectively-I love it!
You can learn more about the product line here , as well as receiving more skin tips.
Ask any person with curly hair and they will have stories for you. A bad haircut, trying to straighten it and hair being difficult to deal with. I have fought my curly hair and longed to be a straight-haired girl all my life. This year I decided I would learn how to do my hair, and try to achieve the curls I always wish I could have. I have not straightened my hair since April and I finally feel like I am getting the hang of styling it.
So if you are a curly girl too and haven’t found your groove yet, this is for you. If you have ever said ‘yea, I have curly hair but not the good curls’, listen up! I used to say that too. Here are the FOUR most important lessons that have helped me the most:
- Deva Curl products- My hair was transformed when I found the DevaCurl Products. Not only did I fall in love with the products, I was able to learn new techniques I was unaware of. I went to the DevaCurl website and chatted with a representative until we picked the products right for my hair type. They also have “how to” videos that are super helpful.
- Application- Put product on soaking wet hair. One of the biggest mistakes I was making was drying my hair and then putting the product in. Classic formula for frizz! I also detangle in the shower with my fingers and never brush my hair after that.
- Amount of Product- Wow, was I being cheap with product! I needed so much more product to actually ensure my hair was getting an even application of product. Even though I am using so much more product after each washing, the times I actually need to shampoo my hair has gone way down. Which leads me to the next point!
- Over Washing– I was washing my hair almost every day. Curly hair is already dry by default and over washing can make it even more dry. It is just not necessary. I can refresh my hair and go longer in between wash times to keep it healthier.
- Deep Conditioning- I NEVER did this step! This has helped my hair become softer in a major way. I am obsessed with Melt into Moisturize, by Deva Curl. This step is really important for curly girls who have over used heat, or have chemically processed hair.
- Putting hair up/Sleeping- I was really doing this part wrong. I would wash my hair and then put my hair in a bun. The next day it was a wreck and any curls I had lost the shape and was frizzy. At night I now put my hair in what is called a pineapple. It sits on top of my head and the next day I can take it down and the curls are in good shape.
These four steps have totally changed my curls. I also watched you tube videos to get more tips for the soft bouncy curls I wanted. I love Hi F3licia YouTube videos for how much you can change your hair even if you think you are past the point of no return, I have learned a lot from her! Click here to check out the videos and her hair transformation.
If you are a curly girl like me and are new to this, reach out if you have questions. There is a bunch of ways to help achieve those soft bouncy curls we all wish we had!
Simply Jess is participating in a trunk show at YogaWorks in Mission Viejo today through Monday February 15th. Come check us out! We have Hydra-Repair Toner, Coco-Mango Deodorant and Coco-Mint Lip Balm. They all make terrific Valentines Day gifts.
Don’t forget to check out the yoga apparel, I am in love with the yoga gear!
I have been a fan of Kerstin Florian products for many years and use them on a daily basis. When the latest product, Clarifying BerryPlus Repair Serum, was announced I could not wait to try it. I have been using this serum daily for a few weeks and I love the results.
With natural ingredients that are highly effective the skin feels hydrated, smooth and is protected. Camu Camu and goji berry extracts help protect skin from sun damage while Raspberry Leaf extract and Rose oil help hydrate and calm skin.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Super lightweight
- Deeply Hydrating
I love this product for men as well, it is great post-shave. To use this product, apply on cleansed skin underneath moisturizer. It is sure to be a huge hit with pretty much any skin type!
To read more about this product and other KF products click here to check out the website: Kerstin Florian
My new Hydra-Repair Toner with Lavender is here and I am so excited to share it! I have created a product that will help protect and repair skin while keeping it super hydrated and balanced. Spray toner is something I use every single day and I wanted to create one of my own to add features that I have not seen on the market yet. And the best part is the ingredients are naturally derived botanicals of the highest quality.
Hydration-this toner is designed to hydrate the skin through the use of highly active and naturally derived super ingredients.
- Coconut water contains Cytokinin which helps regulate cellular health, keeping connective tissues in the face hydrated.
- Selaginella Lepidophylla Extract or Rose of Jericho, a botanical found in the desert of Mexico, provides intense moisturization and improved barrier function.
Protection from Cellular Damage- Hydra-Repair Toner has a unique feature, helping to stop the aging process due to sun and other oxidative stress.
- Camu-Camu Extract is a shrub that’s native to the Amazonian rainforest with 30 times more vitamin C than an orange, making it a potent antioxidant. It is used in skin care for wound healing, cellular repair and for enhanced collagen production. When we spend time in the sun the damage to the cells continue even after we go indoors. The ingredient helps to stop that process and protect our skin from further damage. Amazing!
- Arnica Montana Extract is a native plant on the European continent and in Siberia and has been used extensively in European folk medicine since the 1500’s. It is used in skin care to help calm redness and irritation in the skin and is amazing post-sun. Another reason to put this toner in your beach bag!
- Lavender Water is the base of this toner, and this ingredient alone would make an amazing spray for the skin. Lavender has too many benefits for me to even mention but the reasons I choose it is for the soothing, healing and uplifting aromatherapy benefits. I like to spritz before bed because of the calming effect.
You can use the toner on cleansed skin before your moisturizer, it will help your treatment products and moisturizer penetrate better.
Spray the toner to set your make-up.
Always after sun exposure and even during.
At night for the calming effect.
Keep it at your desk and spray to refresh throughout the day or when you get irritated at your co-worker.
Keep in your gym bag.
Chill in your fridge in the hot summer months and then take to the pool.
Spray your dog when he won’t stop barking at the UPS truck.
There are endless options for how to use this toner and the good news is you can not over do it. It is natural, light weight and loaded with amazing ingredients to help you looking fresh and glowing.
Find the toner here! Hydra-Repair Toner
If you have questions about the Hydra-Repair Toner please comment below!
Finding a great place to get your brows done can be hard to find. I am so excited to share where to go for an amazing eyebrow design if you are in the L.A. area. Angelina Mancinas is a master eyebrow specialist and makeup artist that I highly recommend! She offers eye brow design and even a service called eye brow extensions. Follow her on Instagram to see some of the amazing before and after pictures.
With two locations, Neihule Salon downtown and Winxed in Beverly Hills you have options of where to book. I love the downtown location, the salon is beautiful! It is an amazing treat to find someone as talented and super sweet as Angelina. You can visit her beautiful website for more information on services and location information here.
I just learned about Astoria Naturals and am in love with their unique concept! This brand customizes skin and body care to meet your individual skin condition. I love that I can pick what is best for my skin based on what my skin needs. My skin needs are different from time to time and change with the season so I love the ability to customize. Plus they combine two of my favorite things, pure natural products and results!
I was sampled the body lotion and body wash. I love how invigorating the blend that was customized for me is and the body lotion is extra moisturizing which is what I need in this dry weather. With ingredients like Shea butter and sweet almond oil as a base for the lotion it goes on really buttery and has protected my skin. My skin can get so dry my hands start to crack around this time of year and this lotion has helped tremendously. The essential oil blends help make the product fragrant as well as the added benefits they offer. Plus they even have Autumn blends which sound amazing such as Orange, Cinnamon, Clove and Vanilla. YUM!
Astoria Naturals does not use parabens, SLS’s and is never tested on animals. You can read more about their story and other products here Austoria Naturals. I love the high quality ingredients and care put into the products and love the price point as well. They offer free shipping with a $40.00 dollar purchase to boot. Check them out at:
Melasma is a skin condition I have been asked a lot about lately. Usually problematic in the face, melasma is an overproduction of pigment making the skin appear darker in certain areas. It is a skin condition that is typically related to hormones and can be worsened by sun light, skin inflammation/acne or certain types of medication.
Some of the women I talk to have seen an increase or experience melasma for the first time after having kids. One way to avoid it from getting worse is to avoid excessive sun exposure. I know personally after having kids I am in the sun much more than before. Between pool days, going to the park and other outside activities it is hard to avoid. Here are some helpful hints to help tackle melasma.
1. Limit Sun Exposure – If you have to be in the sun, make sure to cover your face. I try and wear a hat as much as possible when I am out with the kids. Even the best sun protection has its limitations so try and cover up. This is the first and most important tip because if you start to treat the skin without covering up it will not help and could even make it worse. I think getting out in the sun is healthy and Vitamin D is crucial for our health but at least limit your face if working on this problem.
2. Look at Medications- Some of the birth control out there among other prescription medication can lead to an increase in pigmentation, so ask your doctor.
3. Topical Treatment Options– I am not a fan of harsh lightening creams, partially because they are not exactly great for the skin but also because if you aggravate the cells in the skin responsible for melanin production while using those products, the problem will come back even worse.
Regular exfoliation and brightening/lightening serums do a great job of managing pigmentation in the skin. I love Brilliance from Sircuit Cosmecuticals for its brightening agents. They ship free over 50 dollars as well. If you want to add a Vitamin C/A regimen, check out Sircuits website, they have amazing products that target pigmentation and use high quality and effective ingredients. Read more here on these products: Repair Post ‘Summer Skin’
4. Laser – If skin care treatments are in your budget I would recommend going to a medical spa or dermatologists office for a consultation. Some of the lasers out there do wonders, make sure you are going to a reputable place where the technician is experienced. Remember to be vigilant about covering up during these treatments. The summer months are not ideal for these types of treatments, although in Southern California I think Summer is the only season we have left.
I hope this helps navigate how to best work on decreasing melasma and pigmentation while brightening your skin in a safe way. Please comment below if you have a product or treatment that has worked for you or if you have any questions!
October is here! Fall is my absolute favorite time of year. The holidays, comfort foods and excuse to bring out my scarves. I am patiently waiting because apparently Southern California has not got the memo that summer is over. When the weather does begin to change, it is helpful to make some adjustments to our skin care routine. Below are a few helpful hits to transition your summer skin care to fall ready.
1. Treat Summer Sun Damage.
Post summer is a great time to begin exfoliating regularly again and treating yourself to a great facial treatment. If you spent a lot of time outdoors this summer try adding a antioxidant serum to help with sun damage.
2. Protect Lips
As the colder months approach keep lips hydrated and protected from the dry weather. I like to layer my Simply Jess Lip Balm on top of my lipstick to protect and keep them nice and hydrated. Or simply wear it alone.
3. Upgrade Your Moisturizer
This is the time of year to update your moisturizer, one that is richer and more protecting. Or better yet you can add a super charged serum to your existing routine. I am in love with the SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel. The combination of vitamin B5 along with hyaluronic acid makes the skin feel velvety and extremely hydrated without feeling heavy. This is a great product for any skin type and helps your existing moisturizer leave skin looking plumped up. I love it under make-up as well.
Do you switch up your regimen with the seasons? Let me know in the comments below. And Happy Fall!