My new Hydra-Repair Toner with Lavender is here and I am so excited to share it! I have created a product that will help protect and repair skin while keeping it super hydrated and balanced. Spray toner is something I use every single day and I wanted to create one of my own to add features that I have not seen on the market yet. And the best part is the ingredients are naturally derived botanicals of the highest quality.
Hydration-this toner is designed to hydrate the skin through the use of highly active and naturally derived super ingredients.
- Coconut water contains Cytokinin which helps regulate cellular health, keeping connective tissues in the face hydrated.
- Selaginella Lepidophylla Extract or Rose of Jericho, a botanical found in the desert of Mexico, provides intense moisturization and improved barrier function.
Protection from Cellular Damage- Hydra-Repair Toner has a unique feature, helping to stop the aging process due to sun and other oxidative stress.
- Camu-Camu Extract is a shrub that’s native to the Amazonian rainforest with 30 times more vitamin C than an orange, making it a potent antioxidant. It is used in skin care for wound healing, cellular repair and for enhanced collagen production. When we spend time in the sun the damage to the cells continue even after we go indoors. The ingredient helps to stop that process and protect our skin from further damage. Amazing!
- Arnica Montana Extract is a native plant on the European continent and in Siberia and has been used extensively in European folk medicine since the 1500’s. It is used in skin care to help calm redness and irritation in the skin and is amazing post-sun. Another reason to put this toner in your beach bag!
- Lavender Water is the base of this toner, and this ingredient alone would make an amazing spray for the skin. Lavender has too many benefits for me to even mention but the reasons I choose it is for the soothing, healing and uplifting aromatherapy benefits. I like to spritz before bed because of the calming effect.
You can use the toner on cleansed skin before your moisturizer, it will help your treatment products and moisturizer penetrate better.
Spray the toner to set your make-up.
Always after sun exposure and even during.
At night for the calming effect.
Keep it at your desk and spray to refresh throughout the day or when you get irritated at your co-worker.
Keep in your gym bag.
Chill in your fridge in the hot summer months and then take to the pool.
Spray your dog when he won’t stop barking at the UPS truck.
There are endless options for how to use this toner and the good news is you can not over do it. It is natural, light weight and loaded with amazing ingredients to help you looking fresh and glowing.
Find the toner here! Hydra-Repair Toner
If you have questions about the Hydra-Repair Toner please comment below!
Finding a great place to get your brows done can be hard to find. I am so excited to share where to go for an amazing eyebrow design if you are in the L.A. area. Angelina Mancinas is a master eyebrow specialist and makeup artist that I highly recommend! She offers eye brow design and even a service called eye brow extensions. Follow her on Instagram to see some of the amazing before and after pictures.
With two locations, Neihule Salon downtown and Winxed in Beverly Hills you have options of where to book. I love the downtown location, the salon is beautiful! It is an amazing treat to find someone as talented and super sweet as Angelina. You can visit her beautiful website for more information on services and location information here.
I just learned about Astoria Naturals and am in love with their unique concept! This brand customizes skin and body care to meet your individual skin condition. I love that I can pick what is best for my skin based on what my skin needs. My skin needs are different from time to time and change with the season so I love the ability to customize. Plus they combine two of my favorite things, pure natural products and results!
I was sampled the body lotion and body wash. I love how invigorating the blend that was customized for me is and the body lotion is extra moisturizing which is what I need in this dry weather. With ingredients like Shea butter and sweet almond oil as a base for the lotion it goes on really buttery and has protected my skin. My skin can get so dry my hands start to crack around this time of year and this lotion has helped tremendously. The essential oil blends help make the product fragrant as well as the added benefits they offer. Plus they even have Autumn blends which sound amazing such as Orange, Cinnamon, Clove and Vanilla. YUM!
Astoria Naturals does not use parabens, SLS’s and is never tested on animals. You can read more about their story and other products here Austoria Naturals. I love the high quality ingredients and care put into the products and love the price point as well. They offer free shipping with a $40.00 dollar purchase to boot. Check them out at:
Melasma is a skin condition I have been asked a lot about lately. Usually problematic in the face, melasma is an overproduction of pigment making the skin appear darker in certain areas. It is a skin condition that is typically related to hormones and can be worsened by sun light, skin inflammation/acne or certain types of medication.
Some of the women I talk to have seen an increase or experience melasma for the first time after having kids. One way to avoid it from getting worse is to avoid excessive sun exposure. I know personally after having kids I am in the sun much more than before. Between pool days, going to the park and other outside activities it is hard to avoid. Here are some helpful hints to help tackle melasma.
1. Limit Sun Exposure – If you have to be in the sun, make sure to cover your face. I try and wear a hat as much as possible when I am out with the kids. Even the best sun protection has its limitations so try and cover up. This is the first and most important tip because if you start to treat the skin without covering up it will not help and could even make it worse. I think getting out in the sun is healthy and Vitamin D is crucial for our health but at least limit your face if working on this problem.
2. Look at Medications- Some of the birth control out there among other prescription medication can lead to an increase in pigmentation, so ask your doctor.
3. Topical Treatment Options– I am not a fan of harsh lightening creams, partially because they are not exactly great for the skin but also because if you aggravate the cells in the skin responsible for melanin production while using those products, the problem will come back even worse.
Regular exfoliation and brightening/lightening serums do a great job of managing pigmentation in the skin. I love Brilliance from Sircuit Cosmecuticals for its brightening agents. They ship free over 50 dollars as well. If you want to add a Vitamin C/A regimen, check out Sircuits website, they have amazing products that target pigmentation and use high quality and effective ingredients. Read more here on these products: Repair Post ‘Summer Skin’
4. Laser – If skin care treatments are in your budget I would recommend going to a medical spa or dermatologists office for a consultation. Some of the lasers out there do wonders, make sure you are going to a reputable place where the technician is experienced. Remember to be vigilant about covering up during these treatments. The summer months are not ideal for these types of treatments, although in Southern California I think Summer is the only season we have left.
I hope this helps navigate how to best work on decreasing melasma and pigmentation while brightening your skin in a safe way. Please comment below if you have a product or treatment that has worked for you or if you have any questions!
October is here! Fall is my absolute favorite time of year. The holidays, comfort foods and excuse to bring out my scarves. I am patiently waiting because apparently Southern California has not got the memo that summer is over. When the weather does begin to change, it is helpful to make some adjustments to our skin care routine. Below are a few helpful hits to transition your summer skin care to fall ready.
1. Treat Summer Sun Damage.
Post summer is a great time to begin exfoliating regularly again and treating yourself to a great facial treatment. If you spent a lot of time outdoors this summer try adding a antioxidant serum to help with sun damage.
2. Protect Lips
As the colder months approach keep lips hydrated and protected from the dry weather. I like to layer my Simply Jess Lip Balm on top of my lipstick to protect and keep them nice and hydrated. Or simply wear it alone.
3. Upgrade Your Moisturizer
This is the time of year to update your moisturizer, one that is richer and more protecting. Or better yet you can add a super charged serum to your existing routine. I am in love with the SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel. The combination of vitamin B5 along with hyaluronic acid makes the skin feel velvety and extremely hydrated without feeling heavy. This is a great product for any skin type and helps your existing moisturizer leave skin looking plumped up. I love it under make-up as well.
Do you switch up your regimen with the seasons? Let me know in the comments below. And Happy Fall!
Simply Jess is launching a new product, Coco-Lavender Lip Balm! This balm is all natural, super hydrating, calming and healing. This product is perfect for you if you have dry/chapped lips, sensitive skin (and can not tolerate peppermint oil) and love the scent of lavender!
My kids love this one, I use organic ingredients and nothing harsh. When I am wearing lipstick I use this on top for a nice glossy finish and it helps smooth out any dryness. If you give it a try please let me know what you think by leaving a comment on this post or in my Etsy Store. There is a limited supply so get yours today!
Thank you for supporting Simply Jess!
My top three tips for healthier looking skin are pretty much the same for any skin type. If you have been neglecting your skin and it shows, try these simple steps and see if it helps!
1. Exfoliate– So are you exfoliating at home on a regular basis? I think this is an important step so many clients I talk to are missing! Whether your concern is dehydrated/ dull skin or congestion and oiliness, exfoliating will help. Getting rid of the top layer of skin will help bring healthy cells to the skins surface. Don’t get crazy and over exfoliate to make up for lost time, that will do more damage than good. Click here to see a few of my favorites if you need to purchase one (hint one of my favorites is from Dermalogica): Exfoliate
2. Hydrate- A few days of not drinking enough water, having too much caffeine or alcohol or not using hydrating skin care can show up instantly in the skin. When the skin is dehydrated every fine line is amplified and looks more aged. That is why people with oilier skin types tend to have less fine lines than us ‘dry as the desert’ skin types. Along with internal hydration I love using a topical serum to help hydrate and plump up the skin, makes a beautiful difference under make-up too.
3. Sleep- Sleep is crucial for absolutely everything, it is when we recharge our brains, when human growth hormone is released and when are cells are regenerating. I cringe as I type this one, it has not been a good year of sleep for me. I am more clumsy, I am constantly dropping things and my memory has not been good. It totally shows in my skin as well, you can tell I just look tired. A good nights sleep makes a world of difference in our skin and the way we feel so if you can, get more sleep. I know it is hard, trust me, but it helps tremendously.
If you are feeling like your skin needs a boost, try these three tips and then let me know if you see any results! What are your go to skin remedies? Share in the comments below!
Summer is here and enjoying some fun in the sun can leave your lips pretty dry! I am offering a 50% off discount for my Simply Jess Natural Coco-Mint Lip Balm. Just enter the code, Summerfun1 at checkout! Click for the link to my Etsy Store HERE.
If you haven’t had a chance to sign up to my blog to get sale info and discounts, you can do so here: www.iheartskincare.com and click subscribe. You will be e-mailed my e-Book, 5 Easy and Delicious Recipes for Healthy Skin, free!
This offer will only last until I run out of stock so hurry and order if you want to get the sale price. Happy Summer, keep those lips hydrated and shiny!
Well this title sums up how I have been feeling lately, especially after just having a birthday. I decided I needed to update a few items in my cosmetics bag and get my glow back! Since my baby is still not sleeping through the night I am tired much of the time and it shows. I decided to treat myself and buy a few items that can help me fake looking rested a bit and give me a little boost. Even though on a daily basis I keep my routine very simple, I have been adding these three steps to help brighten my skin and face.
1. Concealer-As we age the fine lines around the eye area increase and if you are not sleeping, the dark circles get darker. Apply your favorite concealer to the under eye area and eye lids and blend in. This always needs to be a shade lighter than your skin color. You can add concealer to your lip area and blend in to help lipstick application look smoother too.
2. Highlighter– This makes a huge difference! It is a very subtle tool that brightens the whole face and just makes the skin look fresh. Hardly noticeable but it makes my skin look especially brighter if I am tired. Make a ‘C’ shape around your eyes, lightly down the nose and a touch above the lip. My new favorite addition to my routine.
3. A Great Foundation– I like my skin to look dewy and even, but then again who doesn’t? This step starts with a great moisturizer and serum, but more on that in another post. I bought a new Bobbi Brown make-up brush for applying my foundation and it works great. An investment but those brushes last forever if you take care of them.
That’s it! Just a few extra steps and I feel much better. What are your favorite tricks to look more awake? What about favorite highlighters or concealers?
Other related posts
5 Minute Make-up
I recently signed up for a free trial with Thrive Market and am loving it! If you haven’t yet heard of Thrive Online Market, it is a new website that offers high quality, non-gmo and super healthy products at a discount. They have products ranging from food pantry items, green cleaning and beauty supplies to baby items all offered at a 25-50% off discount! How it works is they offer a membership, like a Costco card, you pay annually and then you are able to purchase directly through Thrive and have items delivered to you.
One thing I love about Thrive is the mission to make healthy living, food and personal care accessible to everyone. They even donate a membership to a low income family for each membership sold. Super awesome.
So far I have purchased, hand soaps, cleaning supplies and lots of food items. If you purchase over 49.00 your order ships free. The great thing is you can try it out for free before you commit to a membership, I have already saved a lot on items I would normally be buying at the health food store. And I love when my food arrives on my doorstep, so convenient! Click here to check out the store and start a free trial (affiliate link). Happy shopping!