I have been using the Moroccan Oil for a while now and wanted to try another product in the line. I tried the hydrating mask for the first time and loved what it did for my hair. I used it in the shower and it did wonders- leaving my hair very soft. This is really meant for a dry, frizzy hair type (it would be too heavy for the fine and oily hair types). You can even combine a little of the Oil for extra hydration.
Check out the other products as well, everything I have tried is effective and pretty amazing. You can check out MOROCCANOIL on Luxury Parlor, they are having a sale on the line right now:
They call it a cult classic and if you have ever worked in the cosmetic counter in any department store you probably use Donna Karan Cashmere Mist Deodorant. It is one of my favorite products and I will never use anything else. This deodorant may be a little pricy but lasts 3 times longer than any grocery store stick and works 10 times better. It is amazing for razor burn (can be used directly on the bikini line), a great antiperspirant with a subtle fragrance. Check out Nordstrom’s for sales on this item, I always buy a few when they go on sale- like now!
Here are a few New Years resolution ideas for better skin in 2011. Cheers to healthy skin!
- Wash your face every night before bed –Yes, even on New Years eve after you have been out late partying, no, especially then! Heavy make-up and dirt on your skin will prematurely age you and cause break-outs.
- Wear sunscreen every day– I can hear you now, “but I don’t need it when I work indoors all day”. Just do it! You get much more sun than you think.
- Get more sleep – I never realized how much lack of sleep could affect my skin until the birth of my son. A solid 8 hours is good for you in so many ways, even your skin.
- Exfoliate weekly– We all fall off the bandwagon when it comes to regular exfoliation. Try buying a new product to get excited again, and then you will remember what exfoliated skin feels like. Just keep it up.
- Smile more– You can see less wrinkles when you are not frowning! After all it is a new year, enjoy!
Just in time for the holidays I wanted to talk about the YOUTH ACCELERATOR pumpkin enzyme peel. I love anything pumpkin (I am baking a pumpkin pie from scratch as I type) and this peel smells exactly like pumpkin!
It is a super concentrated and effective peel removing dead skin and leaving skin vibrant. The peel uses three different types of pumpkin and essential oils and is free of preservatives and fragrance.
Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!
Now that I have reached 40 weeks of pregnancy I am trying to do all I can to encourage my body into thinking that it’s “time”. This has included walking trips to every mall in Orange County. On one such walking excursion with my mom, she was on a mission for a new moisturizer and I was on a mission to find it for her. I am always on the look out for skincare products that don’t cost a fortune but actually work and I found one.
The Rebalancing Day Fluid SPF 15 by Boots Cosmetics is a great moisturizer for oily to combination skin, lightweight and has an SPF of 15. It contains Hyaluronic Acid so that it hydrates and locks in moisture while the texture is ultra-light. Perfect for daytime with the sun protection and even better is the price at $12.99! Boots is the number one skincare line in the UK and I love the price point (along with the fact that it is sold in Target!) They sometimes have representatives from the line in-store you can ask for samples before you take a product home.
Many men have jumped on the skin care bandwagon and are completely savvy with their skin care regimens. Many more men, however, have not. Below are a few helpful hints for men (and the ladies who love them) who think it’s time to incorporate a few products into their medicine cabinet. After all, you are noticing the fine lines and breakouts and it’s time for a change.
Below are a few habits that contribute to the most common skin conditions I see with my male clientele: dehydration, black heads and sensitivity:
- Bar Soap. Not only should you not use this on your face but it’s not good for the skin on your body either. Time to toss out the Costco 24 pack of Zest Soap (I had to do this for my husband when we first met and his skin is much better for it).
- Not Wearing Sunscreen. Most of my male clients tell me they do not use sunscreen, this will age you faster than anything else so make it part of your daily routine.
- Heavily Fragranced Shaving Creams. If the skin on your face is feeling dry and irritated check out the shaving cream you are using. It may be full of alcohol which is drying. After shaving your face, apply a lightweight lotion good for sensitivity since shaving will put your skin in a sensitized state.
When looking to purchase products for your skin, keep it simple. Use products that contain 2 in 1 features to save on time such as:
A light moisturizer with a SPF for day time use
Cleanser with Exfoliating Properties
Go get a facial! I’ve never met a man who didn’t love a facial treatment, it’s relaxing, pampering and you will love the results. You can talk to your skin care therapist and find out what your skin type is and for a simple routine that you will have time for on a daily basis.
Try the Clarisonic Brush-it is waterproof so you can cleanse your skin right in the shower. This will help prep your skin for shaving as well.
Men, I have more tips and products coming your way so stay tuned…
With summer coming to an end it is time for a treat I allow myself with each change of the seasons- a professional body treatment. Especially after the summer months when the skin on our body has been thrashed by the beach and pool water, sunburns and peeling, and dry cracked heels from wearing sandals (yuck).
The same benefits apply to the neglected skin on our bodies as do to our face when it comes to exfoliating. We can be more aggressive with the skin on our body because it is not as sensitive as the skin on our face. In the spa/treatment center they can scrub you down in all the places we can’t reach ourselves and they typically finish with a nice massage. A few things to consider when booking a body treatment:
- Would you like a full experience or just a scrub down?
You can typically get a treatment as short as 30 minutes which typically just includes a scrub or 90 to 120 minutes which would be more relaxing and include a massage or bath
- Do you mind getting up and going to the shower or would you rather be rinsed off on a table?
Ask for Vichy showers when you book a treatment, they are shower heads above the table and it feels like a massage! You never have to get off the massage table.
Don’t worry. Most spa therapists are well trained in draping techniques to make you feel comfortable and covered even if you had one too many ice cream cones this summer.
Don’t forget to continue keeping your skin smooth and soft at home!
- Exfoliate body 2-3 times per week
- Use exfoliating beads in products and add a body buff or loofah
- After exfoliating in the shower, hydrate the minute you get out and skin should be slightly damp so it absorbs
Treating yourself to a body treatment is the perfect way to say goodbye to summer skin and get pampered at the same time.
Now that I have less than a few months of pregnancy left, sleep has become more of a challenge. I am big, hot and uncomfortable which makes it difficult to get my zzzzz’s. The last few days I have been waking up with puffy, tired eyes. My solution? Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Daily Eye Roller. I love the metal roller applicator, it feels nice and cool on my hot and puffy eye area. This product has caffeine and Vitamin B5, great for puffiness and dark circles.
Because this is so lightweight, it is great underneath a more hydrating creamy eye product or it can be used alone for oily skin types. Best thing is the price, completley affordable at $11.99.
Considering how soon my little guy will be here, I think I will be keeping this one in my medicine cabinet!
Milia on the skin are small white bumps with a white head. When extracted milia look like tiny pebbles of sand and have the same consistency. It is a condition that is also very common in babies and is referred to as Baby Acne-although it is not acne at all.
In adults, milia are not like blackheads where the pore is clogged and can be easily extracted out. Because the skin cells are trapped underneath the skins surface, this can not be “picked” out with the fingers. I always recommend seeing a professional for this procedure for several reasons:
- A needle is required to open the skin before it can be extracted. If not performed correctly this may lead to scarring (that is worse that the milia!)
- The most common area milia are found is the eye area. Not a great area to be using a needle.
- The milia are small making it hard to be precise when extracting your own skin.
Thankfully, it is a simple procedure that takes only a minute. To prevent milia around the eyes do not use heavy products and be sure to treat the eye area delicately. Milia can also result from trauma, a burn or blistering of the skin.
See iCare for more eye care tips!
One skin care problem I see more than any other in the treatment room is dry lips. It is uncomfortable and really unattractive! I always recommend applying a highly moisturizing lip product throughout the day; you can not over apply in this instance so go to town.
I found a lip gloss that I love: By Terry Lip-Expert. It is a high shine gloss and also great when you want more than just a pretty color. It contains micro-peptides (making it a great lip plumper) and terrific moisturizing ingredients. Although high shine, it is not sticky and the tube applicator makes it easy to apply.
This is a great product when you want a beautiful shine, plump lips and plenty of moisture. Try ‘Freaky Pink’ for a fun summer color.