Well this title sums up how I have been feeling lately, especially after just having a birthday. I decided I needed to update a few items in my cosmetics bag and get my glow back! Since my baby is still not sleeping through the night I am tired much of the time and it shows. I decided to treat myself and buy a few items that can help me fake looking rested a bit and give me a little boost. Even though on a daily basis I keep my routine very simple, I have been adding these three steps to help brighten my skin and face.
1. Concealer-As we age the fine lines around the eye area increase and if you are not sleeping, the dark circles get darker. Apply your favorite concealer to the under eye area and eye lids and blend in. This always needs to be a shade lighter than your skin color. You can add concealer to your lip area and blend in to help lipstick application look smoother too.
2. Highlighter– This makes a huge difference! It is a very subtle tool that brightens the whole face and just makes the skin look fresh. Hardly noticeable but it makes my skin look especially brighter if I am tired. Make a ‘C’ shape around your eyes, lightly down the nose and a touch above the lip. My new favorite addition to my routine.
3. A Great Foundation– I like my skin to look dewy and even, but then again who doesn’t? This step starts with a great moisturizer and serum, but more on that in another post. I bought a new Bobbi Brown make-up brush for applying my foundation and it works great. An investment but those brushes last forever if you take care of them.
That’s it! Just a few extra steps and I feel much better. What are your favorite tricks to look more awake? What about favorite highlighters or concealers?
Other related posts
5 Minute Make-up
I recently signed up for a free trial with Thrive Market and am loving it! If you haven’t yet heard of Thrive Online Market, it is a new website that offers high quality, non-gmo and super healthy products at a discount. They have products ranging from food pantry items, green cleaning and beauty supplies to baby items all offered at a 25-50% off discount! How it works is they offer a membership, like a Costco card, you pay annually and then you are able to purchase directly through Thrive and have items delivered to you.
One thing I love about Thrive is the mission to make healthy living, food and personal care accessible to everyone. They even donate a membership to a low income family for each membership sold. Super awesome.
So far I have purchased, hand soaps, cleaning supplies and lots of food items. If you purchase over 49.00 your order ships free. The great thing is you can try it out for free before you commit to a membership, I have already saved a lot on items I would normally be buying at the health food store. And I love when my food arrives on my doorstep, so convenient! Click here to check out the store and start a free trial (affiliate link). Happy shopping!
I have been hearing all of the hype surrounding ‘floating’ in sensory deprivation tanks recently so I decided to see what it was all about for myself. Initially I became a little anxious about floating in a closed pod full of water and Epsom salts, so I did some research first. The health benefit claims were impressive; improvement in sleep quality, pain relief, decreased anxiety and more. I even read one hour in the tank can equal up to four hours of sleep, that was all I needed to hear after a year of poor sleep being a new mom.
My sister and I went to Float Therapy Spa in Huntington Beach a brand new facility offering state of the art float tanks. And here is a little about the process:
- Watch a brief video that gives you a great explanation about the experience.
- Take a shower and get ready to begin your float
- Float! We did a 60 minute float but they have longer sessions available as well.
- Take another shower to rinse off the salt
There are options, you don’t have to be in the dark with no sound and just sit there. I closed the pod door (but you don’t have to) and chose to keep the light on and listen to music. You can customize your experience so it is comfortable allowing for you relax and feel at peace.
It was such an interesting experience. At the end of my float I felt as though I had had a massage. I was extremely relaxed and felt less back pain than I had before. The benefits increase as you continue to float and people report increased creativity, focus and mind altering thoughts (along with many other benefits). While speaking to people who regualry float, one thing that is common is they do go regularly and each time improves what you get out of it. I will definitely go back.
- Float Therapy Spa-Huntington Beach
Lately I am getting a ton of questions regarding the tween age child and breakouts. I am going to outline three of my favorite products to help prevent and heal existing breakouts in a gentle and effective way. These Kerstin Florian products I recommend are my go-to because of the lightweight and therapeutic nature. Also safe and gentle for the littles!
1. Clarifying Moor Mud Masque-Sweating during play or sports, makeup for dance, not washing their hands and then touching the face are all culprits of spreading bacteria that can lead to congestion. I love this organic mud because it gently exfoliates and deep cleanses. And they will love to get permission to play with mud!
I suggest this product be used in the shower because it should remain moist. After only five minutes they can rinse if off and that’s it!
2.Rehydrating Neroli Water- One issue with breakouts I have seen time and time again is dehydration. The skin at this age may lack hydration (water not oil) and a simple way to help this is to use a floral water. This is a pure and natural product using the extract of the bitter orange blossom to hydrate and oxygenate the skin. The aroma is very uplifting and great for anxiety, perfect for the tween!
Neroli Water can be sprayed throughout the day, at night and whenever the skin needs to be freshened up. It is fun to put in the refrigerator and spray on a warm day, they will love it (and so will mom)!
3.Rehydrating Remineralizing Face Crème– I love this lightweight moisturizer for breakouts because of its protective and re-mineralizing properties. It is safe, recommended for sensitive skin and can be used at night if the tween is feeling a little oily during the day.
All of these products can be purchased on Kerstin Florain’s website, click here for link. Remember to keep it simple, at this age kids should not be focused on long regimens or worrying about their skin. Make it simple and fun and they will respond very positively! Please share this post with any mom you know who may be dealing with tween breakouts and let me know in the comments if there are any products you have used with great results!
Threading is an ancient practice of removing facial hair that started in India over 5000 years ago and has been steadily gaining popularity here in the states. The technician uses a piece of thread to uplift and remove hair around eye brows and the lip area. When I started threading my eye brows about ten years ago there were not as many options in the south orange county area so I made the trek to Costa Mesa. Now there are threading salons popping up and I decided I wanted to try it out again.
A friend of mine suggested Pretty Threading in Mission Viejo and I loved my results! I visited their newest location in Rancho Santa Margarita this week, where they also offer Blow dry, make-up applications and Henna!
I love the salon decor and the staff was amazing. When I first sat down for my blowout I was given an Ipad to choose the look I wanted, there were five styles to choose from. The salon uses some of my favorite products such as the Moroccan Oil line and a mineral Make-up line I love called Mirabella. The pricing is so competitive, check out the service menu here.
Pretty Threading is offering 10% off Threading or blow-dry services for my readers, just mention I Heart Skin Care to redeem! I hope you will enjoy your services as much as I did!
Owner Pretty and I!