With summer coming to an end it is time for a treat I allow myself with each change of the seasons- a professional body treatment. Especially after the summer months when the skin on our body has been thrashed by the beach and pool water, sunburns and peeling, and dry cracked heels from wearing sandals (yuck).
The same benefits apply to the neglected skin on our bodies as do to our face when it comes to exfoliating. We can be more aggressive with the skin on our body because it is not as sensitive as the skin on our face. In the spa/treatment center they can scrub you down in all the places we can’t reach ourselves and they typically finish with a nice massage. A few things to consider when booking a body treatment:
- Would you like a full experience or just a scrub down?
You can typically get a treatment as short as 30 minutes which typically just includes a scrub or 90 to 120 minutes which would be more relaxing and include a massage or bath
- Do you mind getting up and going to the shower or would you rather be rinsed off on a table?
Ask for Vichy showers when you book a treatment, they are shower heads above the table and it feels like a massage! You never have to get off the massage table.
- Are you modest?
Don’t worry. Most spa therapists are well trained in draping techniques to make you feel comfortable and covered even if you had one too many ice cream cones this summer.
Don’t forget to continue keeping your skin smooth and soft at home!
- Exfoliate body 2-3 times per week
- Use exfoliating beads in products and add a body buff or loofah
- After exfoliating in the shower, hydrate the minute you get out and skin should be slightly damp so it absorbs
Treating yourself to a body treatment is the perfect way to say goodbye to summer skin and get pampered at the same time.